FORUMS: list search recent posts

video drive vs. system drive

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filmfan214
video drive vs. system drive
on May 8, 2008 at 1:16:28 pm

It's just occurred to me that I'm not sure what is meant by having a "video drive". Do people use this to hold only there raw video files? Or do you also store you project files, etc. on it?

Currently, all of my programs are on my system drive, and all of my video footage AND project files are on my video drive. I'm wondering if it helps performance to have the project files separate from the drive with the video files or if it is better to have the project files separate from the OS and programs drive.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: video drive vs. system drive
on May 9, 2008 at 4:44:51 am

As you already know, having the O/S separate from everything else helps a lot.

To get even more performance, I like to setup my NLE to create/use temp space on another drive. Some programs like Photoshop and Premier create and use a lot of temp space, usually off the C: drive. You can change this to improve performance.

So, my 2 cents is to separate the O/S from the projects, media, etc. and then go one more step and put the temp files on a 3rd drive. This would be perfect for a RAID 0 setup.

Personally, I have a C:, D: and E:. The C: is the O/S and apps, the D: holds all my projects, media, etc. and the E: is used only for temporary space. This system works well for me, but it takes some management.

One final note: All of this is NOT going to make your NLE run 2x faster. You might see a 5% to 15% improvement. However, when video editing, you watch the same clip over and over and then you render which can take hours. So saving 15% can be a lot.

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) as they say.

Return to posts index

filmfan214
on May 9, 2008 at 4:04:13 pm

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. That makes sense.

I wasn't looking for a 2x boost. Any little improvement is always helpful. One follow-up question regarding something you said:

So, my 2 cents is to separate the O/S from the projects, media, etc. and then go one more step and put the temp files on a 3rd drive. This would be perfect for a RAID 0 setup.

What were you referring to when you said "this" would be perfect for RAID 0?

I currently have an 80GB system drive, and two 200GB drives in a RAID 0 config (400GB total). Did you mean it would be good to have the temp drive as RAID 0? Also, how big of a temp drive do you use/need?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 9, 2008 at 11:35:20 pm

I agree with you that any improvement is helpful. I just mentioned 2x so anybody reading this would not get the wrong idea.

Yes, I use RAID 0 for the temp drive. I started with two 300 GB drives for the temp area.

I don't use RAID 0 for storing data. I know the Videoguy recommends it but I feel the extra speed is not worth the lack of safety. One morning you will turn on that PC and one of the drives in the RAID 0 will have died and you will lose ALL of your data. I use either a mirror (RAID 1) or RAID 5 to store data.

Return to posts index

filmfan214
on May 12, 2008 at 4:16:14 am

600 GB is more than I would have thought for the temp drive. What exactly do you put on it?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 15, 2008 at 5:34:19 am

Yes, it is more than you usually need. I just had those two hard drives not being used.

I set the Preferences for After Effects and Photoshop to use the temp drive and don't know what is actually written there.

Since it is a lot of space, I did use it so I could transistion from the motherboard RAID 5 to the new Adaptec RAID 5. I copied all my data over and then reconfigured for the new RAID and copied it back. Very handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]