FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY Upgrade to HD on a Budget

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filmfan214
DIY Upgrade to HD on a Budget
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:03:33 pm

I found this site and fell in love when I built my first NLE (DIY 1, I think). It has worked wonderfully, but I'm making the move to HD and I want to upgrade some components of my system.

I think I've decided that I need to upgrade my MOBO, CPU, and RAM, but I'm not sure about the video card. I would like to save that for a later upgrade due to my budget.

I use Adobe CS3 on Windows, and I know Videoguys recommend QuadroFX cards, but according to Adobe's web site "Nvidia FX 5200-5950" are listed as just barely exceptable for After Effects CS3 (http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html). I have an Nvidia Gefore FX 5900xt, which I assume falls within these recommended cards (though the label "geforce" is absent from Adobe's page).

Any thoughts as to whether my current card will suffice for the time being? I don't do extensive or complex work with After Effects. I'm a hobbiest.

Current System: Intel P4 3.0 GHz, Asus P4c800-e deluxe MOBO, 2 GB DDR RAM, nvidia Geforce 5900xt
Planned System: deciding between a DIY5-ish "best" type of CUP-MOBO-RAM config; and a DIY6 config

Is it OK to wait and see if this card is acceptable or is that out of the question? Also, what do I need to check to ensure a certain video card will fit a certain motherboard?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: DIY Upgrade to HD on a Budget
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:41:23 am

One issue you might have is if the video card connection to the motherboard is the same. Video connections can be AGP, PCI, PCIe 1.1 and PCIe 2.0 with newer motherboards supporting PCIe. So if the old video card is AGP, then you won't be able to even connect it.

You can get fairly good video cards for video editing (not gaming) for around $200. A few programs can render faster by using the power of the viceo card (Open GL), but most don't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]