FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading a DIY5 with a quad

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
poppabear
on Apr 3, 2008 at 9:33:50 am

Will there be a noticeable improvement changing from a Core Duo 6600 to a quad for Premiere CS3?

I found out that ASUS just released a BIOS upgrade that allows using 45nm quad CPU's on the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. I am considering using the Q9300 instead of a Q6600 since they are comparable in cost ($239 vs $299) and the Q9300 has a higher clock speed (2500 vs 2400) and will run much cooler.

Does anyone see any problem in doing this?

Should I wait for the Q9300 to come down in price?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: Upgrading a DIY5 with a quad
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:59:03 am

As long as ASUS officially supports that CPU on that motherboard you should be OK.

After Effects and Photoshop can take advantage of multicore CPUs but I don't see much info on Premiere doing that. However, having 4 cores means you could do other things while waiting for renders to complete.

I would go for the highest clock speed I could afford if Premier was the program I used a lot.

What about the Q9450? Twice the L2 cache of the Q9300, faster and also 45nm.

Return to posts index

poppabear
Quad
on Apr 16, 2008 at 7:43:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

I found some performance tests using Cinebench R10 relative to the Q6600 and current pricing from reliable sources.

Q9450 +20% ($350 Newegg)
Q9300 +9% ($259 Mwave)
Q6600 0% ($189 Frys)
E6850 -47% ($271 Mwave)

I think there is no question that a quad is far better than a dual for video rendering. I still have to decide which CPU is better from the performance/cost viewpoint. Since the Q9300 was just released in March, I think I will wait a month or so to see if the prices go down.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: Upgrading a DIY5 with a quad
on Apr 17, 2008 at 12:29:14 am

Keep in mind that a CPU that costs $100 more and saves you 30 seconds on a render is going to save you that 30 seconds EVERY time you render. It is not the price of the CPU, it is your time spent waiting for the computer when editing, rendering etc that needs to be considered.

My 2 cents is to buy the most CPU you can afford for video editing, especially if you will be keeping this computer for a year or more.

Return to posts index

poppabear
on May 20, 2008 at 9:21:24 am

The ASUS forums have discussed using a Q9450 with the P5W DH mobo and it looks like the newest bios upgrade (2704) doesn't work very well with a Q9450. It is barely stable at stock clockrates. One user had to underclock to get it stable. Until ASUS improves the bios, the recommendation is to go with the Q6600.

Return to posts index

poppabear
on Dec 6, 2008 at 8:38:11 pm

I wanted to upgrade my DIY5 with a quad. I picked an expensive and time consuming route. ASUS said my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe could use a Q9450 with the new bios.

I got a really good deal on a Q9550 ($240 on eBay after 25% Live.com discount). The Q9550 wouldn’t work with my motherboard with Windows XP.

I found a good deal on a P5K Premium motherboard ($140 after rebate from MWAVE). The Q9550 worked, but the P5K keeps on giving me high CPU temp readings (50 deg C even when I have just turned on the computer.)

I had been warned by ASUS that the new RAID controller probably won’t be able to read the data on my RAID drives. So, I backed them up. I found out that I couldn’t have a single boot drive with RAID drives, because the P5K only has one RAID controller whereas the P5W had two. I got a good deal on a 1TB Hitachi drive ($70 on eBay with 25% Live.com discount). The Hitachi worked well.

I probably did a couple of wasted steps, but if I had to do it over again, I would have gone for the q6600 (other P5W users have had better luck getting a q6600 to work). Then, I probably wouldn’t have had to get a new mortherboard and hard drive. My new computer is significantly faster rendering and it works well with the Premiere Pro CS4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]