FORUMS: list search recent posts

MiniDV or HD MiniDV tapes?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cmolinaro
MiniDV or HD MiniDV tapes?
on Mar 30, 2008 at 8:47:17 pm

Hello all. Can you tell me if there is a significant difference between using a standard MiniDV tape from a quality brand and the brand's HD version? I just got a Canon HV20 and when I went to buy tapes, I was stunned at the price difference. Also, I read somewhere it's important to use the same brand and model of MiniDV tape. What's the big deal if you use different brands with your camera? Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: MiniDV or HD MiniDV tapes?
on Mar 30, 2008 at 9:50:58 pm

Yes, there is a difference. HD rated tape has a much lower dropout rate than miniDV. Using my Sony HC3, I had significant dropout using TDK miniDV tape, where I've had none using Sony HDV tape. In DV format, a dropout is just a momentary glitch in the video, probably not even a full frame. When HDV has a dropout, it can cause a loss of up to 15 frames, 0.5 seconds.

Return to posts index

desmondclark
Re: MiniDV or HD MiniDV tapes?
on Oct 3, 2008 at 8:26:29 pm

Try this [url=http://www.tapeonline.com/MiniDV/Sony_DVM63HD.aspx]Sony MiniDV HD tape. It's about $9 for a 63min tape but is well worth it IMO.

Also, does anyone know of any research about reusing MiniDV HD tape compared to normal MiniDV. Meaning can you expect better results if you reuse a MiniDV HD tape...assuming you have to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]