FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video card upgrade options

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randyr
Video card upgrade options
on Feb 15, 2008 at 11:47:34 pm

I am adding a a new computer to my system and will migrate the Nividia 8500GT to this computer from my current editing computer. I will probably make a small step up to a Nividia 8600GT for the dual DVi outputs.
My real question is with preview. I use vegas pro and when previewing full screen to aseconday monitor the play back is studdered. I assume this is a video card processing issue. Please help me to understand this issue so I might resolve it for the upgrade.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Video card upgrade options
on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:23:17 pm

Actually Vegas has little use of video card and uses the precessor mostly.
Are u expanding the preview beyond 720x480??? In that case is the scaling wich makes the preview playback so bad.

If your monitor has 1280x1024 (or so) resolution and u maximize to that size, that's asking too much from vegas.

ALso,read the DIY article on display cards, is very useful.

Return to posts index

artsci2
Re: Video card upgrade options
on Mar 24, 2008 at 9:59:55 pm

I have some similar issues with Nvidia 8400 GS. In this case though it's the advertised h.264 support on the nvidia that is not helping anything. After trying to play h.264 files on my machine and seeing little improvement in the performance and no reduction in cpu use, it seems the h.264 decoding is still being done by the CPU rather than the video card.

This is using files from an Aiptek sd card HD (1280x720p) camera. The dual-core 3.0Ghz cpu machine with the 8400GS only plays 20fps where the actual rate is 30fps. Looking back on the boxtop wording, it says that h.264 blue-ray and hd-dvd is natively supported on the video card. Maybe the Aiptek does not make compatible files for the nVidia hardware????

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]