FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Expansion Help

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randyr
System Expansion Help
on Feb 15, 2008 at 11:43:19 pm

My wife is currently building a video archiving and scapbooking business. We are about to get delivered a Workprinter XP for frame by frame film capture. Between this and and the rest of the video capture, a dedicated machine for capture is becoming a need.
The current editing station is an Q6600, xp system with a 500 gig for OP and misc files. I have (2) 500 Gig SATA II internal drives in RAID 0 for 1 terabyte of storage for video. The NLE is Vegas Pro.
With the edditin of of the new computer, I will have video in two locations. I am looking for possible options. It would be easy enough to add another 1Tb to the new capture machine and transfer files for editing as needed through a network to the editing machine. A more elegant layout would be a shared drive of some sort. I would love to have a bank of drives on a server and and capture to and access this single location. I have concerns about hicups in the capture process.
I appriciate all input.

Please see other question about video cards.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: System Expansion Help
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:27:05 am

Over the network capture would probably be a problem as you suspect. At a minimum you would need Gigabit LAN cards and a Gigabit switch and a Gigabit NAS.

You could capture to your RAID 0 and then copy to a shared NAS.

You are backing up up that RAID 0 array? If you are going to be in business and long-term archive is required, then a RAID 0 is a dangerous place to store stuff. Eventually one of those hard drives will fail and you will lose all the data on BOTH hard drives.

The other option is some sort of G-Tech ES like device with RAID 1 or RAID 5 which can store your data, give you some fault tolerance and still be fast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]