FORUMS: list search recent posts

best fire wire card for my system?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FrankRyder
best fire wire card for my system?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:24:42 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of building out a new system I bought from Tiger Direct. I use Avid XPress Pro 5.2 I did not know a few things like (a) Avid won't run on Vista (b) Avid wouldn't run with the Realtek sound card which it came with (c) The system came with one 500GB hard drive vs. the two 250GB hard drives advertised.

So, I have installed XP Pro SP2, purchased a new sound card, new hard drive and before I take it all to my local IT and have it installed such that the new Hitachi 320GB 16MB 7200RPM drive becomes my OS/C:/, and the current 500GB SATA II drive becomes my media storage drive, and I switch to the new Audigy SE Sound Blaster card, ect., I thought it would be wise to consider having him throw in a second fire wire card while I'm there anyway.

Here are my system specs:

Avid Xpress Pro 5.2 • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor • 4GB High-Speed, Dual-Channel DDR2-800 Memory Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB PCI-Express w/Direct X10 eVGA nForce 650i Ultra T1 Motherboard • 20X LiteOn Dual Layer DVDRW • 500GB SATA-2 HDD OS/C:/ 250 GB external 320 Hitachi T7K500 internal • 22-in-1 Media Reader • Onboard 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN • Onboard Realtek HD Audio 5.10 • (2) USB 2.0 Ports • Windows XP Pro SP2 • Bella Xpress Pro series/keyboard Logitech MX Rev. cordless laser • Visionman Tower Dual widescreen lcd • 550Watt Power Supply

My question is this: Today I completed a module in my Avid Xpress Pro certification course dealing with rendering, output and the like. It got me wondering based on statements like:

“You must install in your computer a separate fire wire card. This card must be connected to a slot in your computer that is on a separate bus from your built in fire wire ports. Refer to the documentation that came with your computer…with some CPU’s, the fire wire card needs to go in a specific slot to be on the correct bus. Not all computers have multiple buses.”

I realize this is in the event that I get Mojo or Adrenaline to go out to. I don’t have that now so I will be just rendering as I go and burning straight to DVD; However, I might like to go that route eventually, so, would it be wise to get the appropriate fire wire card now, and have my local guy put it in also…since I’m there anyway?

Or, would that not make since because it wouldn’t be able to be hooked up right now? Or, could it be installed to the proper bus and just ready and waiting for the time I decide to do some real time output and rendering?

If so, what is a decent card for me based on my specs and how do I find out which port to tell my guy to make sure he puts it in, or is that something he should already know? The paper work which came with my system is pretty basic and generic.

Please advise.

Return to posts index

Ben_Chiu
Re: best fire wire card for my system?
on Mar 3, 2008 at 7:50:14 am

The PYRO AV PYRO PCI 64R2 3-Port 64-Bit PCI FireWire-400 Host Adapter is the only Avid certified firewire card that I've ever seen. Other firewire cards have been known to be compatible with Avid tho. In any case, the 64R2 is a solid card.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

FrankRyder
Fire wire card
on Mar 3, 2008 at 2:35:32 pm

Thanks for that info...I'll look into that card. I noticed you live in SLO Town...my old stompin grounds. I went to Atascadero High, Cuesta College and used to surf everything from Cayucas Pier down to K58 Mexico quite regularly.

Have a good one!

Cool

Return to posts index

Ben_Chiu
Re: Fire wire card
on Mar 7, 2008 at 9:50:26 pm

FrankRyder: Thanks for that info...I'll look into that card. I noticed you live in SLO Town...my old stompin grounds. I went to Atascadero High, Cuesta College and used to surf everything from Cayucas Pier down to K58 Mexico quite regularly.

No kidding. Small world!

Best of luck to you.

Ben

Return to posts index

FrankRyder
small world
on Mar 7, 2008 at 10:02:08 pm

Ben,

Indeed it is a small world...especially a little north east of you in the Anaheim area...R-R

I bought that fire wire card from B&H Photo for 29.99 plus about 4 bux shipping. Should be here any day.

Stoaked on the trip to my local shop to get my baby dialed.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

FrankRyder
small world
on Mar 7, 2008 at 10:03:49 pm

I meant to say south not north.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]