FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Feedback on X.100?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leebo
No Feedback on X.100?
on Jul 30, 2002 at 6:57:35 pm

Searching the net I'm having a hard time finding any feedback from new owners of the RTX.100.

Is anyone buying this card?

After getting burned on other cards, I want to wait and see how users of this card like it or don't like it.

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: No Feedback on X.100?
on Jul 30, 2002 at 10:00:25 pm

Hi there
I have just purchased this card and am just waiting to recieve it. It sounds like a great card and I hope it will fulfil all my editing needs. Once I have used the card I will let you know what I think of it, hopefully you'll be receiving good reviews from me about it. Take care and I hope you recieve alot of input about people's experiences with this card.
Thanks

Return to posts index

leebo
on Jul 30, 2002 at 10:32:05 pm

Cool.
I'm thinking about it, but I'm waiting to see what owners have to say about it.

I remember when the first "low cost" realtime cards came out. Everyone was very excited about them, but after people bought them, they discovered that there was no realtime when outputing digital (Firewire).

The manufacturers didn't mention this b4 selling the cards. The advertising implied that "real time" was all the time.

So I wait to see what others say.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jul 31, 2002 at 2:14:22 am

Most users are just getting their RTX.100 this week. Also remember that you want to put it in a screaming fast P4 2.2Ghz. So I suspect many purchasers could still be waiting on their new computers.

we've been testing it for over a week. The installation was a BREEZE. The responsiveness in Premiere is fantastic. The real-time FX are awesome. This is the hott card to get, if you have the computer to put it in.

GAry

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

leebo
on Jul 31, 2002 at 2:26:45 am

Thanks Gary.

I'm looking forward to replacing my "old" Pinnacle DC50.

So what OS are you running it on? XP?

I plan on "suffering" with my Athlon 1.2Ghz till the 3Ghz chips come out though.
I'm also wondering if the Storm might go down in price now that it has competition.

BTW, for anyone wondering, the X10 does not do realtime effects out to DV, nor realtime keying. So personally, I'm still looking at the X100.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 1, 2002 at 2:19:37 am

I've had my X100 running for 10 days now on my new Asus A7M266-D Dual Athlon 2100. I bought it for its realtime DVD export, which works as advertised, exporting m2v and wav in realtime. It also exports from the timeline without rendering, so I don't have to mess around with exporting the video to DV, importing the DV clip, and then exporting the clip to mpeg. I'm using 3 hard drives as recommended by Matrox.

I've compared the realtime export to the included Ligos export. The realtime is 1:1 using both cpu's at about 25%, and the Ligos software is 1.75:1 using one cpu at 95% on this system. I've done exports at 4 MB/sec and 7 MB/sec using both. I could not visually tell the difference between the Matrox realtime and Ligos software at either speed. Based on this, I assume the Matrox realtime uses hardware combined with the Ligos software to perform realtime exports. Based on cpu utilization, the realtime export does not require nor benefit from dual cpu's.

Based on the specs, I assume the X10 deletes the c-cube chip that enables realtime DVD export, so you should expect the speed I measured using the Ligos export.

The only anomaly I've seen is that my DVDit PE won't play the WAV audio in preview mode, although it does encode it properly for the DVD in either PCM or AC3. I'm working with Sonic's tech support to try to resolve this.

Return to posts index

leebo
on Aug 1, 2002 at 3:02:56 am

Thanks for the input.
I'm getting more excited about this card.

The only reasons I can think of (so far) to go for the Storm over the X.100 is Canopus' reputation for service, and the Storms 5 realtime layers.

But realtime mpeg2 export from the Storm is about $1600 (I think).

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 24, 2002 at 2:41:05 pm

The Strom is powerful, but it still has a 4GB file limitation. It's the only serious NLE product on the market that still suffers from this. You can get the MPEG encoder card for FREE from Canopus before August 31st if you already own a qualifying NLE card. None of the older DC30/50 cards are included in this offer, but it couldn't hurt to call and ask them.

Me, I'm a huge 3D FX guy. That's what I overuse in all my videos to make upo for my very limited editing skills ;-)

I think the RTX.100 is the card for you Leebo. I'm so confident you are going to love it - I'll give you a 30 day satisfaction guarantee! (note: all our DTV products come with this guarantee and our free tech support)

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]