FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to combat radar interference

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cdblachly
How to combat radar interference
on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:11:53 pm

I've got a problem, and am hoping that someone can help me out with an answer. I work on board the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) and regularly use Sony HD150 and HD170 MiniDV Cams. They experience horrible interference from the ship's radars including static on the picture and camera malfunctions. Does anyone know of a consistent, effective way to neutralize this? We have tried the always attractive "wrap-it-in-aluminum-foil" technique with minimal success. Is there anything else I can do? Does anyone manufacture an interference shield? Please help.

Return to posts index

Fisherman
Re: How to combat radar interference
on Feb 6, 2008 at 3:45:50 pm

cdblachly: I've got a problem, and am hoping that someone can help me out with an answer. I work on board the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) and regularly use Sony HD150 and HD170 MiniDV Cams. They experience horrible interference from the ship's radars including static on the picture and camera malfunctions. Does anyone know of a consistent, effective way to neutralize this? We have tried the always attractive "wrap-it-in-aluminum-foil" technique with minimal success. Is there anything else I can do? Does anyone manufacture an interference shield? Please help.

Just tell the Captain to turn off that darned radar because it's messing up your video. LOL That oughta go over well. LOL

Return to posts index

Reid
by
on Mar 16, 2008 at 4:26:58 pm

I used to be a radar mech back in the days of cassette tapes and if you ever approached one with your walkman in your pocket your music was as good as gone...

I'm guessing your biggest problem is in the tape and the process of recording to tape. Any way you could test recording to HD, like maybe a laptop or something?

The only thing that is going to stop the interference is of course lead sheeting, but I'm guessing you don't want to shoot the inside of a lead box.

You may want to try over at the dvinfo forum, there are several engineer types who may have a better work around for you. Do you know any of the radar mechs or operators well? Some types of radar have very distinct patterns of transmission and there may be "blind spots" somewhere on the deck.

And if it's doing that to your camera, just think what's happening to your brain. Tin Foil hats anyone?

Return to posts index

cdblachly
on Mar 17, 2008 at 2:47:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out. In light of recent events in the Arabian Gulf, being able to record video is becoming kind of a big deal, you know.

And as for tin foil hats, well, maybe. Tin foil cups, for sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]