FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best format to convert AVCHD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jfksabal
Best format to convert AVCHD?
on Jan 27, 2008 at 2:52:37 am

I just got back from NZ with 6 hours of AVCHD files (used a Panasonic HDC-DX1 and mini DVDs) and I'm trying to figure out what is the best format to convert the files to so I can edit it with Power Director 6.

Right now I'm leaning towards using VoltaicHD to convert to WMV and then editing with Power DIrector 6. However if anyone can suggest a different set-up -- different editing software, conversion software, etc. -- I'm all ears!

TIA,

John Sabal

(P.S. -- I just found out the new version of VoltaicHD will convert to WMV.)

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Best format to convert AVCHD?
on Jan 28, 2008 at 2:27:51 am

The only applications that can currently edit AVCHD directly are Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus, Vegas Pro 8, and Premiere Pro with the Cineform plugin.

Return to posts index

jfksabal
on Jan 28, 2008 at 4:41:02 am

Thanks for your reply.

So which of the following scenarios do you recommend? (As I was originally led to believe Power Director 6 would work with AVCHD, albeit after conversion, I've already spent $80 and bought it. FYI -- the included file conversion "patch" isn't trustworthy.) Also, I want to retain as much of the HD content as possible for my final movie (the reason I bought the camcorder in the first place!) but I'll definitely have to make a movie version in standard format for my friends who don't yet have Blu Ray players, so I'm definitely planning on doing file conversion(s) at some point.

Scenario 1. Spend an additional $100 and edit my AVCHD videos in their native format with Ulead? ...with Vegas Pro 8? ...or with Premier Pro?

Scenario 2. Spend an additional $30 and buy VoltaicHD and convert my files to WMV (or should I convert to AVI?) and then use Power Director 6 as I had intended?

Scenario 3. Wait for Cyberlink to produce a better file converter? FYI -- this is the repsonse I got from Cyberlink as to how not to get choppy videos:

"In regards to your issue, we would suggest you to first remove PowerDirector folder and clean up PowerDirector Registry.

For that follow the below mentioned steps:-

1. Remove "C:Program Files(x86)CyberLinkPowerDirector"

2. Remove "C:Program FilesInstallShield Installation Information{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}" folder

3. Run regedit

(1) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWAREWOW6432NodeCyberLinkPowerDirector"

(2) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

(3) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallInstallShield Uninstall Information{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

(4) Remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallInstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}"

Now install a fresh copy of PowerDirector 6.0 software by downloading the link given below.

If you have fast internet connection (DSL), then we suggest you to download the single file for PowerDirector 6.0 from the link below:

PowerDirector 6.0 (build: 1731b) [Vista ready]

CyberLink.1731b_VDE070411-01.exe

NOTE: Right click on the above mentioned link and select "Open in New Window" or "Save Target As". After that enter user name and password given below.

User Name: etc., etc.
Password: etc. etc.

Important Instructions:

1. User name and password are case sensitive and must be typed exactly as it is. There must be "NO SPACE" before or after user name and password.

2. When you get a prompt for Open/Save the file. Please choose to save the file on your computer hard drive and then run the file to install software.

The download valid date till 2008/01/28.

If issue persists, please try to install PowerDirector 6.0 on some other computer to make sure that the issue is related with the system or not.

If the issue is related with the system, then reinstall operating system and install PowerDirector 6.0 software."

(Don't you love that last one??? Reinstall the op. sys. -- ha!)

Thanks!

John

Return to posts index

ddgrick
on Jan 28, 2008 at 8:10:44 am

It is always best to edit the high quality source AVCHD first and then convert to a lesser video quality format. You can also convert to a lossless WMV file (assuming your software supports this codec) first and then edit it.

Return to posts index

jfksabal
on Jan 28, 2008 at 2:36:05 pm

So then converting my files first to WMV seems to be an o.k. way to go, as long as I can edit the WMV files in Power Drector, eh?

Also, what's the scuttlebutt about Power DIrector 6? Video Editing Software Review gave it their best rating.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]