FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super Low Budget Video Capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
artsci2
Super Low Budget Video Capture
on Jan 22, 2008 at 3:49:01 pm

I'm trying to build a low cost direct-to-disk video capture system.

Current hardware:
Sempron 3100+, 1.5Gig RAM, K8VM800-RH motherboard
ATI All-in-Wonder 2006 256Mb
160Gb SATA system drive ( HD tach test 61MB/s),
60Gb ATA spare drive (Hd tach test 35MB/s),
Sil 0680 RAID 0 (2) 200Gb WD200 8Mb cache (HD tach test 85 MB/s)
Win XP home

Camera: JVC S-VHS with its S-video output going into the ATI AIW

I'm using this for sports coaching. The biggest issue is blurring of any motion. I have tetsted with Windows Movie Maker and with the ATI version of Pinnacle studio 9 with the most recent patch. Movie Makker will not capture uncompressed video and this seems to make motion blur a bigger problem. Pinnacle will capture uncompressed 720x480 30FPS but it makes Windows explorer shut down (code execution protection error?) whenever I open the folder where the captured video is stored. This problem dissapears after uninstalling Pinnacle Studio.

Testing with stronger light gave no reduction in blurring of motion.

I am looking for inexpesive software that will allow me to capture uncompressed 720x480 30fps.

Can Vegas capture uncompressed with this hardware? What are my choices?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Super Low Budget Video Capture
on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:42:46 am

Do a search on Firestore or DVRack (now called something else since it was bought by adobe)

and since your analog out-- you'll need a convert like Canopus 110.

Return to posts index

artsci2
on Jan 23, 2008 at 4:17:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I searched as you suggested and found that the Canopus 110 is a device for analog video input to a computer. Maybe I misunderstood what you are suggesting. I already have analog input with the ATI All-in_Wonder card. That's what I use when capturing with movie maker and Pinnacle Studio. Are you suggesting that the blurred motion would be improved if I used the Canopus 110?

When I searched for "Firestore" a firewire based hard drive system came up. The 400Gb RAID 0 I already have should be large and fast enough for 720x480 30fps? When I use Pinnacle studio to capture uncompressed it never dropped a frame.

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive program that will allow me to capture 720x480 uncompressed through the ATI AIW card without the crashing that Pinnacle Studio causes.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:02:11 pm

You said
artsci2: I'm trying to build a low cost direct-to-disk video capture system.

well the firestore will allow you go to direct to disk without going to tape.
your specs sounds like a desktop computer and not a laptop.

I go direct to disk with firestore. and if my camera is analog out, i use the Canopus to convert.
if you want to bring a desktop computer to your location so you can go direct to disk.... good luck!!!

Return to posts index

artsci2
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:39:27 pm

OH! OK I get it now (maybe).

You are telling me I can go from my analog NTSC S-video camera output directly to the Canopus 110 and from the canopus 110 direct to the Firestore Firewire hard drive? No computer needed on site?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]