FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ulead Video Studio 9 - Out of Memory?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jmach
Ulead Video Studio 9 - Out of Memory?
on Jan 17, 2008 at 3:54:17 am

Hi,

I don't know how many of you use Video Studio, but this may be a question that is relevant for computer programs in general.

First, here are my system specs:
Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop
Pentium M 2GHz
2 Gigs RAM
60Gig internal HD, 500GB external HD
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 video card
Windows XP

This will be my fifth time doing this compilation project for a high school, and between Pinnacle Studio and Video Studio, I have experienced more technical difficulties than I thought existed in all of computing. I thought maybe, just once, I would be able to sit down and do the project from beginning to end with no problems. This year is not the time.

I have about 2 minutes of video edited so far (a Flash introduction with AVI video and an MP3 audio track), and I got an "Out of memory" error last weekend. I had 1 gig of RAM up to that point, and despite the problems I've had with the program before, and knowing that my system wasn't the best for editing, it's what I've used for the last 3 years and I have never got this error.

I upgraded to 2 gigs of RAM and tried again - same error. I would say the first time this happened I had been working on the video for about 45 minutes. I would click "OK" in the warning dialog box, and then the program would freeze and the "this program is not responding" window pops up. The second time this happened - after upgrading the ram, I worked on it for maybe 20 minutes. I reinstalled the program, and it happened again. I have over half of both hard drives free, so I don't know what is causing this.

My paging file is set to between 1024 and 4096MB - would that have anything to do with it? I need to have this project done this weekend, and I don't know what to do, other than working until I get that error, quitting, and resuming again.

I have tried twice in the last 2 days to register on Ulead's forums, with two different email addresses, and I haven't gotten a single activation email, in my junk mail folder or otherwise - so that isn't an option.

I just tried to email Ulead/Corel tech support - free for registered members, which I am - I am told. Their link to a support email form took me to their knowledge base, which I already searched for answers on. I thought if I did one search it might give me a link to email support, but it didn't.

I am extremely frustrated right now, particularly with their support system, and I am going to call them tomorrow and explain to them my frustrations. I have Video Studio and Pinnacle Studio 9 on my computer, and they are both some of the buggiest software I have ever used; however, I do like them as programs when they work, and I don't want to upgrade because honestly, after trying two versions of each, I do not trust anything that comes from these companies anymore, and I now have even less faith due to the fact that their tech support is a runaround.

Any ideas/input? Thanks for your help!

Jason M.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]