FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Recomendations

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fisherman
Capture Recomendations
on Jan 13, 2008 at 4:47:28 pm

Hello,

I am going to build another computer to edit with but here's my current situation. I'm using a Dell Optiplex GX620 with a dual core 2.1 GHZ cpu, 4 GB ram, integrated motherboard (I know), external hard drive is a WD 500 GB My Book and just bought a Panasonic AG-1980 to capture with.

Here's the problem. The USB device that I'm capturing with is an el' cheapo Kworld DVD Maker. It was around $19 or so. I can't capture with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 but can manually capture with Movie Maker in Win XP Pro. In the capture screen in Premiere, I can't even see a picture but can hear sound. I want to capture and control the 1980 with the computer but obviously can't. I think it's the cheap capture device. Is there something that's not too expensive that will plug into USB and has fire wire (for the future machine) also?

Hope I made sense. Thanks

Return to posts index

Fisherman
Re: Capture Recomendations
on Jan 14, 2008 at 5:30:52 pm

Hey Fellers! Is this thing on? Bump Bump... Smile

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 14, 2008 at 6:50:58 pm

check ou the ADS pyro AV link. for under $150 you get a dv converter box and Premeire elements. You'll need to add a firewire card to the dell.

http://www.videoguys.com/pyroAVlink.html

No way to get dseck control of the 1980, but it's not needed. just capture and edit with premiere elelemnts.

Gary

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:40:07 am

videoguy: check ou the ADS pyro AV link. for under $150 you get a dv converter box and Premeire elements. You'll need to add a firewire card to the dell.

http://www.videoguys.com/pyroAVlink.html

No way to get dseck control of the 1980, but it's not needed. just capture and edit with premiere elelemnts.

Gary

I tried capturing manually through Premiere Pro CS3 with the cheapo capture device but didn't see a picture. I could get a manual capture with the Movie program in Windows XP. Would it be just as good to capture with that and edit in Premiere and Encore or would I get better video with PyroAVlink and would Pyro let me capture with Premiere? If not, I'll just do what I've been doing.

I am a little confused though. I thought that I could get full device control of the 1980. Adobe told me that it was compatible. They didn't know about my cheap capture device though. If it's doable, I'll spend a little more on a device.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 15, 2008 at 6:18:47 pm

I never hear of any control of an old VCR (as the 1980). Only devices with firewire in/out have the ability to be controlled.
I also suggest the Pyro route.
Premier will be able to capture any video coming through the firewire port. So the answer is yes (or should be yes)

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on Jan 15, 2008 at 8:24:29 pm

LeeAVP: I never hear of any control of an old VCR (as the 1980). Only devices with firewire in/out have the ability to be controlled.
I also suggest the Pyro route.
Premier will be able to capture any video coming through the firewire port. So the answer is yes (or should be yes)

Well, darn. I guess if it'll allow me to capture with Premiere, I'll go the Pyro route. I was hoping for the nifty control the vcr thing as well. LOL Manual capture is fine. At least I'll get better video with the 1980 and Pyro than with the $35 vcr and $19 capture device I was using.

Thanks to the both of you. I'm going to build another computer just for this so I'll have more questions later.

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on May 27, 2008 at 7:01:07 pm

I went the Pyro route and it's not working. The capture window and Premiere locks up when it's on. When I turn it off, things just start working. Except I can't capture. I tried it with Microsoft Movie Maker as well and it locks it up too.

I've got RCA and S-video cables from the vcr to the device and Firewire from the device to the computer.

What I'm confused about is that it worked on my other computer. The other one is fairly new (about a year). It's a Dell Optiplex and my new one is a Dell Precision with 4 gb RAM and a better video card. Both with XP Pro.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on May 27, 2008 at 7:12:51 pm

I have never crashed... then again I use Canopus 100 or 110.
Check to make sure the computer sees the device properly.
check with pyro for updated drivers.
I capture everything through Premiere (2.0 or 1.5). (there is a place to set your capture device to assure a smooth capture.)

do a search on "crash capture premiere pyro" and see what hits you get. you may need to update a driver somewhere.
I think there is a wiki for premiere.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on May 27, 2008 at 7:29:38 pm

LeeAVP: I have never crashed... then again I use Canopus 100 or 110.
Check to make sure the computer sees the device properly.
check with pyro for updated drivers.
I capture everything through Premiere (2.0 or 1.5). (there is a place to set your capture device to assure a smooth capture.)

do a search on "crash capture premiere pyro" and see what hits you get. you may need to update a driver somewhere.
I think there is a wiki for premiere.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Lee but I don't think it's a Premiere problem and ADS doesn't have any drivers for the device. It gets the driver from the operating system. It sees the device and recognises it as what it is and it doesn't just lock up Premiere. It locks up everything that tries to use it to capture or preview.

My el'Cheapo device works but the quality is terrible. So, if it works, maybe I can get a better one to work. I think I'll be switching to Canopus. Either the 110 or 310.

ADS customer service is the worst I've ever encountered. I sent the device back and they said they would send me a new fully tested one. It took them weeks and I had to call them to get them to remember me. They said the "new" one is on it's way. What I got back was the same one and they even forgot to return all of my cables. So I had to get an RCA cable to test the device with. Below is a note I sent them and their boss.

I got the device back today and it's still doing the same exact thing. It looks like you sent me the same device without even looking at the thing. The contents of the box was even missing the RCA cable so I had to get one to test the unit.

Your customer service has to be among the worst I've ever encountered. The worst! The tech dept won't answer their phone, the receptionist at the main number sounds rude and disinterested, the RMA guy was the same. Whoever took notes from my first phone call, got all of the details of my computer wrong. I guess he wasn't listening. How can you help me if you're not listening?!?

You guys won't last too long at this rate. Have you ever heard of "customer service"? That's the thing that'll keep you in business.

I need some real help! Will someone who actually likes their job please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on May 27, 2008 at 9:48:07 pm

Never attack the company and the quality of the employees.
I always mention something like-- should I leave poor feedback in the product review part, of the website I purchased it from? (they fear more bad reviews that the future consumer may see)

try putting color bars, then black, then another color in the time line, render and then output to tape and see if outputs and all the color changes happens ie you know it didn't lock up.

Which product model do you have ?
download their tester thingy for A/V link (API-558-EFS)
http://www.adstech.com/Support/Downloads/Downloads.asp?product_Id=API-558-E...

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on May 28, 2008 at 2:12:30 am

Sorry but it's just so darned aggravating. I've wasted a lot of work time messing with this thing. If I could have gotten them on any number today, I would have tried talking with a manager about it.

LeeAVP: try putting color bars, then black, then another color in the time line, render and then output to tape and see if outputs and all the color changes happens ie you know it didn't lock up.

When the blue light is on, it does play on the tv monitor. Just freezes when I try to capture.

Which product model do you have ?
download their tester thingy for A/V link (API-558-EFS)
http://www.adstech.com/Support/Downloads/Downloads.asp?product_Id=API-558-E...

I have the API-557-EFS. I tried the test thingy but it freezes on capture too until I turn off the Pyro device.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]