FORUMS: list search recent posts

preserving VHS footage

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lfriis
preserving VHS footage
on Jan 9, 2008 at 1:04:13 pm

Hi and greetings

I have over the years from 1992 to 2000 created some 130 hours of VHS footage with a VHS camcorder (the one using the VHS tape that goes into a converter box to fit directly into a VHS player)
From 2000 an onwards I have used DV only and done a number of amateur and semi professional movies using a NLE system from Pinnacle.

The time have now come to secure the VHS footage to DVD or HDD as the tapes eventually will degrade in quality.

For the purpose of best quality future editing of the VHS footage I will like to preserve it on DVD or HDD. For editing purposes I believe that the DV or AVI format will be the one with highest quality but take up some 2-3TB. Compressing with MPEG2 will allow the same footage to compress considerably but the quality will degrade.

Can you suggest the best method - both for the best editing facilities combining old VHS and new DV and optima quality, I don't know if the quality of the MPEG2 encoding systems differ, but this could be a solution the invest in a high quality encoding system rather that large disk systems.

I will appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks in advance and kind regards

Lasse Friis

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: preserving VHS footage
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:03:08 am

The quickest way to preserve the tapes is to buy a standalone DVD recorder and dub the video to DVD directly using its best DVD quality setting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]