FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing software recommendation: multiple formats/sources

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
housechick
editing software recommendation: multiple formats/sources
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:49:01 pm

Hi there - I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice or product recommendations. I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

I want to create video that combines clips from various sources - mixing DV or HDV video from a camcorder with screen capture and powerpoint playback, which I can produce as an AVI, MOV, SWF, or WMV. I'll also need to record and mix audio, but am not sure if that will require additional equipment and software.

The videos will be distributed largely online, but I'd like to be able to distribute them on CDs or DVDs occasionally.

What would you recommend for editing software? At this point, I'm starting at the beginning; I still need a camera, everything. If I need to build a dedicated server or buy hardware, that's also an option. I want to produce a high-quality video, with relative speed and ease for both editing and final production.

Return to posts index

Johnson H. Nguyen
Re: editing software recommendation: multiple formats/sources
on Apr 1, 2008 at 5:31:58 pm

I'm surprised you haven't had an answer yet. Your post has been up for nearly 3 months! For editing software theres tons you can use. I just bought Pinnacles Studio 11 and it turns out to be everything i need. It converts things with ease and quickness. It's able to produce avi,mov,swf, or wmv as well. I actually haven't seen anything with recording or mixing audio, but I might have just over looked it. Good luck housechick!

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: editing software recommendation: multiple formats/sources
on Apr 16, 2008 at 12:00:37 am

I have recently joined and you may already have your answer, but just in case:

Most Non-linear editors (NLEs) like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, AVID, and FCP will take pretty much any media you throw at it. When you first setup the project you specify the end target like 640x480 or 1080P. You can then stretch/crop/mask your source media as required to fill the frame if that is what you want.

You can do the same thing on one or more audio tracks. When the project looks the way you want it, you render the video and audio and you can specify target parameters that match the original project settings or something different. You could render 3 times with 3 different settings.

Like anything, the software can't make something out of nothing, so small clips that were originally 1/4 screen size are NOT going to turn into razor sharp 1080p video no matter what you do. Keep this in mind while collecting the media for the project.

Also, things like white balance will make it noticeable in the final video when you switch from video you took to say, some 3rd party purchased clips. You can use the color balance in the NLE to minimize stuff like this but it can take a long time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]