FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Tech Raid vs. other SATA II ?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
glennrhodes
G-Tech Raid vs. other SATA II ?
on Dec 29, 2007 at 4:25:29 am

I am not convinced on the price/performance with these G-Tech solutions. I realize they may be easier to configure with XP, but the numbers are not adding up for me. As a comparison, I have been looking at an external SATA II RAID solution from http://www.addonics.com. My quote from them includes the following:

- MST4ML Mini Storage Tower (4x Multilane) - $139.95
- ADS3GX4R5-ML Multilane 4 SATA II PCI-X RAID - $99
- AAIB4C150 Multilane 4x SATA cable $70
- 500GB Seagate 7200 Hard Drives - $125 x2

Total: $558 vs. $975 for the 1TB G-Tech solution.

These mini's have their own power, cooling, etc. With this Infiniband multi-lane cable, the tech's at Adonics said I will get 240 MB/s throughput provided the hard drives I use get about 60 MB/s.

Are they not a good solution for video editing? Is there a reason I should avoid them?

I will be using CS3, Canon HV20, and will be eding HDV content.

tx

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: G-Tech Raid vs. other SATA II ?
on Dec 31, 2007 at 5:01:59 pm

The big advantage of the G-Tech solution is you just plug-in and go. You can almost always save some money building it yourself.

The G-Raids have excellent cooling and proven long term performance and reliability.

As long as you are up to the task, your solution should work great.

Gary

Return to posts index

glennrhodes
Re: G-Tech Raid vs. other SATA II ?
on Jan 9, 2008 at 4:24:30 am

What do you think about using the onboard raid capabilities of the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard vs. going with the adonics external sata raid? For CS3 and HD editing, will the on-board RAID suffice or do I need the extra power, cooling and possible I/O benefit of the RAID PCI-X card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]