FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best quicktime compression for DVD playback later on?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Wickert
Best quicktime compression for DVD playback later on?
on Dec 19, 2007 at 9:37:39 pm

I have some DV footage that I had captured into MPEG-2 files on my old PC, then recently got a Mac and I want to be able to edit the footage and put it on to DVD for standard playback on a TV.

I've got Quicktime Pro with the MPEG-2 playback component, and another program that works with it, called MPEG Streamline that allows me to convert the MPEG-2 files in to MOV files to be edited in iMovie and Final Cut Express and then on to iDVD for DVD authoring and burning.
I've converted some footage using Apple DV 25, JPEG Motion A, and H.264 at NTSC 720x480 resolution so far, and cannot see any noticeable difference in the picture quality between the three converted files when played full screen with Quicktime, but there is considerable difference between the resulting file size for each video. With all three files played back in Quicktime, there was some faint pixelation around moving figures in the video.

I would like to know if there is and what the best compression to use would be in converting the MPEG-2 files into MOV files or other format that's compatible with iMovie and Final Cut Express that will result in the best quality for DVD playback. I don't have Final Cut Pro so I don't have Compressor, which I understand, has a preset compression optimized for DVD playback later on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]