FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV storm vs. the DV Avid Xpress 3.0

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles
DV storm vs. the DV Avid Xpress 3.0
on Jul 9, 2002 at 5:54:11 pm

Now that someone raved about this card can someone tell me the real big difference? Besides that the DV Storm can handle real-time out to DV through it's firewire port and being that all of the Avid's effects are real time?

I read some where that the Avid only handles color correction to a point. Does this minor control, which is not available, hamper the color correction process? How much of this is taken away? The non- availability of Real-time output to DV through it's firewire port, is not that of a big deal. I can live with it. So how long does it take to a half hour or an hour's production to output to DV then?

A head-to-head comparison would be nice. Thanks

Charles King
Http://homebuiltstabilizers.just.nu

Return to posts index

leebo
Re: DV storm vs. the DV Avid Xpress 3.0
on Jul 31, 2002 at 2:32:29 am

<i>"So how long does it take to a half hour or an hour's production to output to DV then?"</i>

No one can answer that question.
It depends on what resolution you're working at, how many effects and how complex, etc.

Also, the Storm does FIVE layers of real time (provided you have the CPU power).

Return to posts index

John Q
on Aug 1, 2002 at 2:24:54 am

Be aware the new Matrox X100 does realtime color correction, as well as realtime export for up to 12 layers, although you need to read the specs to find out exactly what can be performed realtime and what requires rendering. I do know that it does do realtime DVD export, which is why I bought one.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 1, 2002 at 2:27:31 am

Excellent points. I'm glad to here how impressed you are with your RTX.100. As I've mentioned already I'm working on my RT4 article. It will include an even more comprehensive comparison then RT3.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Charles
on Aug 1, 2002 at 9:13:03 am

Great ot hear you'll be doing an indepth caomparison because for that is worth these cards are all great but one main reason I'm interested in the Avid is because it's an Avid. Industry standard, as well as stability issues. The software approach is not such a bad thing especially if you want to put it on a lap-top where as this cannot be done with the other cards. Oh yeah, It seems that the Avid learning curve coul be steep.
I probably will end up getting the Storm because of all what it can do for the price.
The Matrox.100 looks so inviting. Hell! How does a person chose?"!!

Charles King
Http://homebuiltstabilizers.just.nu

Return to posts index

bfulover
on May 10, 2003 at 3:05:34 am

I'm the same boat....

If my machine was faster, I would probably get the RTX.100, but since it doesn't take advantage of my dual xeon 933 and the storm2 will, I think I'm will be getting the Storm2. If I had a ton of money, I would just buy a new system to boot, but I don't have 4 to 5 grand.

I would love for someone to make some recomendations on a system. My dream system is a dual xeon, at least 2.66's with a Gig of Ram. When I added up what a P4 would cost vs. a Xeon, it amounted to a little more than the extra processor. Am I missing something???

Of course, when I buy the real-time card, I plan on buying a new video card, more storage space, (400MEG) and a DVD burner. So the computer might have to wait, unless I get some guidance from here. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]