FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY 5 video card(s) question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ICTIP
DIY 5 video card(s) question
on Dec 7, 2007 at 5:03:47 pm

What is the difference in performance with the VG DIY 5 NLE machine using 1 ATI x1950 pro 512mb pci-e video card versus using 2 (visiontek) ATI x1950 pro 256mg pci-e video cards in crossfire mode. I read a post somewhere where crossfire mode only gives about a 50% increase in performance above a single card, is this true? I assume two 256mb cards will run hotter than a single 512mb card. I can get the two visiontek ati cards (256mb each)for a really good price (about $75 eachcompared to one ATI 512mb card. Granted, the Visiontek cards don't have all the bells and whistles that a card made by ATI does, but if the ATI 512 card greatly outperforms two visiontek 256 cards in crossfire mode, it's worth the price. I will be doing amateur not pro stuff......(not yet but I may in the future....:) ) example: But I am a firm believer in getting a 200 hp outboard and running it 3/4 speed as opposed to say a 175hp ouitboard and running it full throttle...less wear and tear IMHO.

Thanks....

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: DIY 5 video card(s) question
on Dec 10, 2007 at 6:57:53 pm

Actually all chips are made by ATI, a reselleser assemble the whole card with some differences (overclock, memory type, etc), so in the end you "always get an ATI card".

Also, the last letters in model name give and idea on how good the card is (none is sort of basic, Pro uses DDR2 or 3 and has higehr clock, XT improves some feature, and XTX is the best, and some times a platinium version is realised).

Now memory amount IS NOT the most important feature but the chip. The reason why the visiontek is cheaper is the memory type, bit interfase, and the chip used. The XTX is faster, uses DDR4 with and can easely outperform two x1950 Pro.

Now, crossfire is meant to be used in gaming, doesn't help that much for video editing yet some RT stuff uses more memory so at least 256 MB are recomended.

Also, perform varies depending on the NLE you work with (for example, Vegas has no use for videocard other than the overlay and Liquid uses the video card for all RT transitions ), I'd recommend you to read the DIY article on GPU's so u can get a better idea on what u need (because having two midrange card will force u to buy a bigger power supply and a bigger case with extra fans).

Return to posts index

ICTIP
on Dec 12, 2007 at 12:44:05 am

Thanks for the info, I was planning on running Adobe Premiere elements, then going to Premiere when I can afford it....:) Two pro cards will be less expensive in the short run, I was planning on getting a bigger PS anyway and the coolermaster case is on sale with a rebate......

Return to posts index

ICTIP
on Jan 2, 2008 at 1:12:40 am

Has anyone used the Power Color x1950 pro card, pci-e? It uses the ATI x1950 pro chip with 512 memory. I cannot find any other card that uses 512 megs of memory. I can get a good price on the Visiontek x1950 pro card PCI-E. BUT, not only does the Power Color version of this card use 512 instead of 256, it has better over specs than the Visiontek which seems to be "bare-bones" Anythoughts, on which card to use? thanks......

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 7, 2008 at 8:07:13 pm

while we do know that today's NLEs can tap into your graphic card and take advantage of extra grphics power and memory, the same is not true for dual graphics cards. I am not aware of any NLE which can tap into more than one card. And I'm concerned that you'll just end up with the performance of just one of the cards (no cumulative effect or benefit)

Gary

Return to posts index

ICTIP
on Jan 11, 2008 at 7:34:01 pm

[quote="videoguy"]while we do know that today's NLEs can tap into your graphic card and take advantage of extra grphics power and memory, the same is not true for dual graphics cards. I am not aware of any NLE which can tap into more than one card. And I'm concerned that you'll just end up with the performance of just one of the cards (no cumulative effect or benefit)

Gary[/quote]

Thanks for the reply....:) What about crossfire as mentioned by Jon in the DIY 5 article? (Crossfire is a "dual" graphics card solution)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]