FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a new system & wondering if +ram will help vist

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
panzer948
Building a new system & wondering if +ram will help vist
on Dec 2, 2007 at 1:09:44 pm

Hi,
I am looking to rebuilding my current AMD 3000 system. I need to edit my new HD vidoe content after upgrading to a new HDV sony camcorder (my old system couldn't handle the files). Have been using Premiere 6, but will likely switch to the latest Sony Vegas product.

I want this new system to have the latest bells and whistles so I don't have to worry about upgrading few 2-3 years. So that also means I would like to move to Vista (currently have XP SP2).

Was wondering if I get the below hardware (which is mostly the latest tech) will overcome the hogging of system resources by vista (quad core, 4 gigs of ram, latest video card with PCI-E 2.0)? Was thinking about the 64 bit version, but after reading here I decided to stick with the 32 bit version (I think its the 2nd level home version) for now.

1.processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2.Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 (new X38 chipset but still uses DDR2)
3.HDD: My current twin WD Raptors 36 gig in Raid 0 for OS
4.GPU: Geforce Nividia 8800 GT 512 Gig ram
5.RAM: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR21000 (PC2 8000) (total of 4 gig)

For video capture/editing, I have decided to probably get two new harddrives, probably a WD Sata2 (maybe 300 or 500 gig) and set them up in Raid 0 (any suggestions here). I will even have a fifth older IDE drive that I will use for non video data and an external 300 gig drive for backups (probably want be big enough now).

At present i have a Samsung SyncMaster 955df crt that I will probably continue to use until I pay off the above parts Wink .

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Building a new system & wondering if +ram will help vist
on Dec 2, 2007 at 4:36:15 pm

Window is nothing more than a GUI(graphic user interface)... so the question is why get vista 32bit when there is noting wrong with WinXP running at 32bit.
Vista is only a new GUI that has more functions.
Most people here tweak XP so it has less functions running.

I am waiting for NLE software, for 64bit OS, to be 99% bug free and stable before I build a new computer on a 64bit OS.

When you feel everything is ready for 64bit, then buy the OS and compatible programs and hardware.

my 2 cents

Return to posts index

panzer948
on Dec 2, 2007 at 4:51:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. Looking at other forums, I am getting heavy recommendations for Vista 64bit, so I am looking hard at my hardware/software to see if it is compatible now with Vista 64bit. I hate to use the dreaded word "gaming" here, but you see I do want this machine also to be capable at playing the high end stuff, and it looks like Win 64 would be my best bet.

The good news is that I could add another 4 Gigs of Ram if I go with Vista 64. This basically means the resource hog problem goes away if you get Vista 64 bit over 32 bit and you add the extra ram it can utilize.

Any thoughts? To me as long as Sony Vegas can function I should have no problem with HD video editing, right?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 3, 2007 at 12:33:11 am

What you'll find is a big lack of support for Vista 64, just like XP 64. Without drivers and compatible software, 64 bit operating systems don't work well for video editing yet.

Return to posts index

panzer948
on Dec 3, 2007 at 1:09:44 am

Thanks for the reply. Been looking into this all day and think I have found a solution that I (and probably others) could live with. Purchase Vista 64 and install both it and my old XP for a dual boot configuration. That way if I have programs that work better under XP, I will be all set.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]