FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCI-E / PCI-X use questions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben_Chiu
PCI-E / PCI-X use questions
on Nov 24, 2007 at 10:33:37 pm

Hello!

I have a MB that has a free PCI-E x1 slot and two PCI-X 133 slots open.

I want to move up to HD editing so I need to upgrade to a hardware RAID and HD capture. I'm looking at these and discovered that both RAID and HD capture cards come in both PCI-E and PCI-X flavors.

I understand that PCI-E should be faster, but I'm not sure if PCI-E 1x is that fast (my PCI-E 16x slot is occupied by my graphics card) compared to my PCI-X 133 slots. That said, I'm not sure if RAID or capture would be best in the faster slot.

My question is can anyone recommend which types I should get? Should I go with a PCI-E capture and PCI-X RAID, vice versa, or PCI-X both?

Thank you for any help!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: PCI-E / PCI-X use questions
on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:45:27 pm

IMO PCIe for capture and PCI-X for RAID. By the way, what mobo are u using and what capture card you have in mind?

Return to posts index

Ben_Chiu
on Nov 30, 2007 at 10:13:37 pm

Chipocludo: IMO PCIe for capture and PCI-X for RAID. By the way, what mobo are u using and what capture card you have in mind?

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a SuperMicro PDSGE. I was looking at the BlackMagic DeckLinkHD line because they make PCI-X versions. But after your post, maybe I don't need to go PCI-X for capture.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Dec 3, 2007 at 6:05:45 pm

Ahhhh I like that mobo. I've assembled two workstations with it. I used the Canopus HNX1 board PIC-X version in both cases. IDE disk for system drive and SATA2 Raid with mobo ports in both cases and they are being used for HDV editing.

This mobo has one PCIe 1x port, DeckLinkHD is a 4x card, is not compatible, u need the PCI-X version if u want to use this mobo.

If u want external storage eSATA is the best choice, but u'll need an extra card. What RAID card are you considering?

Return to posts index

Ben_Chiu
on Dec 13, 2007 at 5:46:17 pm

Chipocludo: Ahhhh I like that mobo. I've assembled two workstations with it. I used the Canopus HNX1 board PIC-X version in both cases. IDE disk for system drive and SATA2 Raid with mobo ports in both cases and they are being used for HDV editing.

This mobo has one PCIe 1x port, DeckLinkHD is a 4x card, is not compatible, u need the PCI-X version if u want to use this mobo.

If u want external storage eSATA is the best choice, but u'll need an extra card. What RAID card are you considering?

Hi Chipocludo:

Thanks for the excellent information. You've settled it for me. I'll go with the PCI-X DeckLink.

I do want to go external RAID. I'm looking at the Areca cards. My understanding is if you get a hardware RAID box (smart port multiplier), the differences between the various interfaces (eSATA, multi-lane/infinband, etc.) are neglible. They cost more money than a "dumb" box, but I figure I can offload from the CPU's as much as possible. Do you have a different recommendation?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Dec 14, 2007 at 5:28:12 pm

Actually the motherboad does the work and the CPU doesn't need to manage this, unless you use USB disks. USB 2.0 despite being "faster" than firewire 400, is not as efficient. But eSATA is faster than firewire 800

Areca is a good card BTW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]