FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid O - Can I partition for a boot drive?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kidpastor
Raid O - Can I partition for a boot drive?
on Nov 14, 2007 at 12:33:49 am

Hi,
I am looking to purchase rather than build a DIY computer for editing. The system (Gateway FX530XV) can be ordered with two 500 gb hard drives in a Raid 0 configuration.

After reading the recommendation about not using a Raid 0 as both the boot drive and edit/storage medium, I would like to know if a boot drive can be partitioned rather than adding another physical drive? (Unfortunately, they can't add a 3rd drive)

Would that create a performance hit and negate the speed of the Raid set-up? What other options should I look at realistically?

Thanks!
KP

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Raid O - Can I partition for a boot drive?
on Nov 14, 2007 at 2:48:48 am

Technically yes. but the answer is NO you shouldn't.
The idea of separate drives for media in a RAID configuration is to maximize your ability to read or write. You can't if those same drives are being used for OS. they may be partitioned, but they are the same drives.

Plus if there is an error on a drive (in RAID 0) and it is being used for OS, it could be disastrous to the point of reinstalling everything.

If you are doing this for a living, just buy a turn-key NLE if you don't want to build one.
If this is a hobby, just buy a computer with two hard drives one for OS and the other for media.

Return to posts index

Kidpastor
Re: Raid O - Can I partition for a boot drive?
on Nov 14, 2007 at 4:40:45 am

Lee,
Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case but not having experience with Raid 0 configurations, I wasn't exactly sure how it worked. I guess if I would have thought about it a little more, I could have come to that conclusion. I definitely don't want to go through a reinstall experience if I don't have to! (been there...done that...not fun)

So, I won't be taking too much of a performance hit by not using the Raid setup and using the OS / Media setup on two drives?

I'm not editing for a living (yet) but I am making money with it as serious hobby. I'll keep the editing system as just that and use my current system as my household/everything else computer.

KP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]