FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for High Def mobo solution utilizing QX9650 chip...

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gordon_shumway
Looking for High Def mobo solution utilizing QX9650 chip...
on Nov 1, 2007 at 10:06:47 pm

Hello-

I'm looking for a good motherboard utilizing either 1 or 2 CPUs for the QX9650 chip for high-definition editing through an AJA LH video card (component, HDSDI).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a motherboard that would work well in this application? This would be a PC-based solution.

Thank you very much in advance!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Looking for High Def mobo solution utilizing QX9650 chip...
on Nov 6, 2007 at 10:48:13 pm

Look at SuperMicro and Tyan's MOBOs
they typically have boards for 2 CPUs

Return to posts index

hpvideo
mobo solution utilizing QX9650
on Feb 1, 2008 at 8:55:23 pm

Hi-
I just joined the user group today.

I have been researching a new video editing system (mobo, CPU, etc) to rebuild my existing system built in 2001. After reading a lot of articles on this site I went to Tom's Hardware site and dug deeper. I found some inconsistencies with some articles and advice the DIY5 article had and found new info about current technologies. It seems that the 975X technology is now dated and X38 is the way people are moving towards.

Motherboards -
After reading the DIY5 article I was determined to find one that used the 975X Intel chipset. Neither the 965P nor the 975X officially supports 45 nm processors.

This lead me to a few good boards, but then I started to read up on the X38 chipset and its capabilities. Eventually I found that Tom's HW site used a gigabyte board for their CPU benchmark tests and loved this board due to its ability to configure over clocking. This is their test system.

(Intel X3Cool Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, Rev. 1.0
Intel X38, BIOS: F4 (09/19/2007)
Memory 2x 1 GB A-Data DDR2-1066+ Vitesta Extreme Edition
DVD-ROM Samsung SH-D163A , SATA150
Graphics Card Foxconn Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX
GPU: 575 MHz
Shader: 1350 MHz
Video Memory: 786 MB DDR4 (900 MHz, 384 Bit)
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Zalman, ATX 2.01, 510 Watt

Please read the Tomshardware article on the CPU test for Penryn.

Conclusion:
With the new SSE4 instruction set, this generation of processors can accelerate upcoming video editing applications by at least 40%. At the same clock speed, the QX9650 is faster than its predecessor, the QX6850. The Penryn-based Core 2 CPU is not just a simple die-shrink, it is a completely new CPU, from the transistors up. It uses less power and has 47 new instructions added, most of which were developed to speed up video editing tasks.

The Intel QX9650 with the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 seem to be a winning combination. You can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory. The only "down" side is that you cannot use 2 Nvidia graphics cards in it ( for dual monitors) using PCIex16 connectors on mobo. You can use ATI graphics cards however.

Since my main use is video editing I was mainly interrested in finding a mobo that could take advantage of the new X38 chipset and SSE4 instructions. I believe Adobe CS3 can do this, but I am still researching the software part.

Price-
Toms HW stated that Intel is now trying to ramp up their production of the Penryn CPUs. Targeted around March - April time frame I would expect the Penryn CPU prices to start dropping.

I think the Videoguys could start thinking about a new DIY6 with some of these things in it.

Return to posts index

eofeapr
on Feb 4, 2008 at 2:56:07 am

WOW hpvideo,, you've said a mouthfull

thnx for the tips

Return to posts index

Fisherman
on Feb 4, 2008 at 4:54:05 pm

Hpvideo,

Any updates or new conclusions on your research?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]