FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV video capture question.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thekidd77
DV video capture question.
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:41:43 pm

Hello,

I am by default the tech support guy for my father in law who runs a video filming and editing business for weddings and dance recitals.

He currently has sony DV cameras and a sony DV deck, this is connected to a pinnacle pro one rtdv card through the black box and a p4 computer that has 1g of rambus.

The software is premiere 6.5, he captures as dv/ieee 1394 avi, and then edits as pinnacle avi, and then exports as pinnacle DVD ntsc.

He then opens it in Encore DVD to add the dvd menus, and then burns a multitude of copies using a robotic burner.

He is looking to upgrade the speed of his system, The capture takes considerable time, the rendering takes around 20 mins, and then export to the DVD file that Encore will use takes up to 3 hrs for a 2 hr dvd.

Is it worth building a new system with core duo chip, ddr2 ram, and raptor 10k hard drives, and transferring over the pro one and premiere 6.5? Or does the capture card become a waste of time if the beefier computer is actually faster, and is pinnacle needed to do the dvd export or is premiere 6.5 capable of that on its own.

He had premiere 6.5 over a year before taking the time to learn it, so switching editing software after just two years probably should be avoided.

Any advice on speeding up the process with his current system, and advice on a good upgrade path, which will still just be DV cameras for at least some time would be appreciated.

Note he still does all analog editing on his old amiga and toaster, so analog capture doesn't need considered in the new system just DV capture, and yes I have rebuilt the amiga system for him a few times too.

Hard to remember the old amiga work bench commands, but the hard drives in the amiga did make a comeback see SATA.

Thanks again for any advice?

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: DV video capture question.
on Oct 26, 2007 at 4:05:52 pm

It seems a lot of rendering time for a P4! (though u don't mention what P4)... anyway, if u are going to stick to DV fromat then u can avoid a capture card.

Encoding with a Core2 Duo is way faster than anything you've seen on a P4, even on a 1.8 GHz/1066 FSB. So my advice is to go ahead and upgrade it;s gonna be a real time saver.

10k hard drives are not necessary on DV, old MJPEG based system required it. If you plan to enventually move to HDV then go ahead (or if your budget allows it hehe) otherwise as long as u work with SATA2 drives in RAID 0 is enough.
Premiere 6.5 is not so efficient as Premiere 2 Pro for mpeg2 export, also NLEs take advantage of current PC components, so u should upgrade both software and hardware.

Finally, IMO, pinnacle products suck! they are ok for learning and home stuff, but for real work they are a headache! Move to PP2 or Edius, just add a good video card help with some RT effects.

Hope this help. Feel free to ask.

Return to posts index

thekidd77
So in summary.
on Oct 30, 2007 at 10:43:43 pm

So just the 6.5 software on a new computer with good videio card would be far better, than the old computer with a dedicated capture card?

And secondly the new hotrod computer with latest ati pro or geforce pci-e videocard and Premiere pro 2 will smoke his old system, no capture card needed.

What would a newer capture card rt2x or whatever it is add to his situation with DV video? Does the ability to preview the effect at full quality on a tv style monitor come into play at all.

Return to posts index

thekidd77
I forgot to say thanks.
on Oct 30, 2007 at 10:59:14 pm

Also when I have built my own computers in the past,

I always build very close to the Ars Technica system guides.

I have built two of their Hotrods and one of their Budget boxes.
It saves you a lot of time matching components.

So that is what I would likely be recommending for this Video Computer an Ars Technica Hotrod with the PP2 software.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Oct 31, 2007 at 10:43:28 pm

So just the 6.5 software on a new computer with good videio card would be far better, than the old computer with a dedicated capture card?

A: No. Premiere 6.5 has no use for the video card other than the overlay, almost any video card works. Some processes will be faster but premiere 6.5 is not optimized to work with multiple cores, not even HT. Whenever u upgrade harware u need to upgrade software too.

And secondly the new hotrod computer with latest ati pro or geforce pci-e videocard and Premiere pro 2 will smoke his old system, no capture card needed.

A: Yes, but be sire the motherboard has 1394 connector or add a pci card to get this kind of port. But this way u don't get video preview.

What would a newer capture card rt2x or whatever it is add to his situation with DV video? Does the ability to preview the effect at full quality on a tv style monitor come into play at all.

Yes, u get accelerated effects, full video preview and real time export for several formats including mpeg. Yet, i'm almost sure it can't be added to his current configuration, at matrox site u can find guidelines for compatible pc components. Is much better and stable to work with aditional hardware than by sofware alone but it depends greatly on budget and needs.
The SD version could be his best choice if he works with DV only.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Oct 31, 2007 at 10:44:39 pm

let me add my 2 cents

1) Build an up-to-date computer. (I don't plan to spell out the specs)
you can use an internal capture card or as I do I use an external box (connect it through firewire) this way can upgrade the computer and not worry about the card and driver.

2) get PPro 1.5 or 2.0 (i dislike 2.0, but that is my personal opinion) it is quicker in rendering and has nice new features.

3) get a Firestore type device and reduce the encoding time. (I know it is expensive but has saved me over a 100 hours of digitizing. I just transfer the files over through the firewire port.) the other thing I do is reuse the tapes since it is now more of a back it than 'life critical' recording tape.

PS I still have my toaster- it paid for it's self more times than I can count. I use it for photos to video. with a wizard program I can set the times and dissolves in seconds. spit it out to my NLE and add audio and turn it into a DVD. plus it's dissolves are unique and not found it today's NLEs like PPro.

Return to posts index

thekidd77
Thanks for the replies
on Nov 1, 2007 at 3:02:57 pm

Can you explain more about the firestore type device?

Story about his Toaster
A few years ago right in the middle of his busy season his amiga 2000 power supply or Motherboard died. The computer store guys told him he was SOL and needed to learn his new system. I stepped in to bail him out but all that was on ebay was a newer amiga 3500 that had a completely different case and motherboard layout. I read on a forum that the toaster card will fit in the 3500 if you hacksaw the back and leave the case off. So I snapped it up for $60.

For some unknown reason when it arrived he took it to his computer store guys to have everything swapped over and they told him he was crazy. He phoned me at work, I told him to take everything home because I was going to have to do this. When I got there I looked everything over and said, " OK were gonna need a hacksaw". His eyes just about came out of his head.

I had "Frankie" up and running in a few hours and he was far faster than the original. We did track down another 2000 to put everything back to normal, of course I wanted to stick with Frankie. Frankie actually came with a brand new SATA hard drive, I was amazed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]