FORUMS: list search recent posts

hard drive rpm

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
garnet
hard drive rpm
on Oct 8, 2007 at 7:44:52 pm

Just starting to research components for my editing station. My one question today is: would a 10,000 rpm hard drive for the operating system provide any real benefits over the more popular 7200 rpm versions?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: hard drive rpm
on Oct 8, 2007 at 10:57:53 pm

the key thing is "any real benefits" my answer is no. other people may answer yes.

my2cents

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Oct 16, 2007 at 4:37:56 pm

Agree with LeeAVP

I'd like to add that 10k rpm are better for media drives and that gaming computers gain more with 10k rpm system drive.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Oct 16, 2007 at 9:27:37 pm

I'd only buy a 10k drive if it was in a non raid drive setup and I was doing what Chipocludo mentioned: media storage or games.
I am sure the 10k owners will tell you they run hotter than the typical 7200 drives.

Return to posts index

garnet
on Oct 19, 2007 at 4:56:58 pm

Thanx guys for your answers.
I was thinking that the raid drive that was writing could only go as fast as the system drive could read and that because of effects and transitions requiring extra computing a 10000rmp drive could deliver faster.

or is it simpler than that?

andrew

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Oct 26, 2007 at 4:32:01 pm

Media drives and system drives work independent, that's why is recomended that all media should be storaged on a second disk. Otherwise is too demanding on a single disk to handle all app, os stuff and large dv files. Not even a partition help for this purpose.

10k drives help to sustain data and has less chance to have drops in playback or capture, specially with lossles codecs and hd sized files.

System drive don't read from the media drive/raid, the nle app is the one reading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]