FORUMS: list search recent posts

Porting iMovie to Windows. Good idea or not?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mmcjwo
Porting iMovie to Windows. Good idea or not?
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:30:32 pm

In 2000, I first started creating digital movies with a new DV camcorder, Adobe Premier, etc. Though it was a humble setup including a 400mhz CPU, everything worked fine. My visits to VideoGuys was a great help in getting started.

But that also was right before our first child was born and life hasn't been the same. Very Happy Which meant I was capturing video footage and didn't have the time (or CPU power) to do anything with that footage.

Seven years and dozens of miniDV tapes later, I'm returning to the task of doing something with the raw footage. (I've kept the tapes in a cool, dry place.) I still have the same hardware and software as seven years ago but it doesn't work so well anymore. It's time to do research my alernatives, build a budget, and get a new system.

I also have a iMac (circa 2003) with iMovie. I know I want to stay with the Windows platform but having the iMac leads to my questions.

While I research and budget for my new computer, I am tempted to use the iMac to start reviewing footage and dumping the good stuff to disk. (A really big disk, of course.) I realize I have to "flatten" the files (merge forks) to make them readable to Windows.

My question: Any reason why I might NOT want to use the iMac to create clips that will be used in Windows? No loss of quality, right?

I expect I'll just have the incovenience of "flattening" the files. Also I also expect the iMovie clips are really Quicktime but I haven't verified that yet. Thanks for whatever insight anyone can provide.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]