FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Capture Codec

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
codepath
Video Capture Codec
on Oct 2, 2007 at 5:19:12 pm

I am currently using a Pinnacle DC1000DV capture card with Premiere 6.5 to capture in lossless AVI, edit, and export to MPEG-2/PCM for DVD.

This capture card can also capture directly to MPEG-2/PCM and edit with realtime effects rendering.

Am I creating more work for myself than is necessary by going thru AVI and exporting or does capturing and editing in AVI result in a significantly higher quality final product?

Should I just work natively in MPEG-2/PCM (or even DV)? What about compression artifacts from editing?

codepath

Return to posts index

codepath
Bump
on Oct 22, 2007 at 1:17:06 pm

Anyone want to take a crack at this one? Please?

Return to posts index

codepath
Re: Video Capture Codec
on Oct 31, 2007 at 8:26:10 pm

bump

Return to posts index

codepath
on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:06:12 pm

another bump

Return to posts index

codepath
on Nov 19, 2007 at 7:39:39 pm

bumpity bump-bump

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Nov 20, 2007 at 7:08:35 pm

If your source is a DV tape is almost useless to capture in lossless AVI since your source is already compressed, unless you are capturing by components then might get a slightly cleaner image for keying.

Use AVI files with Microsoft DV Codec, that's enough for DVCPro, DV and DVcam. Files are not as large and keep the same compression of a DV tape.

Don't work directly with MPEG-2 files, they are far more compressed and compression artifact will be more visible when u apply effects on them.

In other words, yes, you get better image quality by editing with AVI files and exporting them to MPEG-2, but u don't need to make so heavy. Only animated stuff are worth to be rendered lossless.

Return to posts index

codepath
on Nov 26, 2007 at 6:26:49 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I waited a long time for someone to finally answer this thread.

I really appreciate it.

codepath

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]