FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help pick video card for my machine

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aplus
Help pick video card for my machine
on Sep 22, 2007 at 11:58:48 pm

Hi,

I am building a workstation for a friend of mine who does video 3d art on the computer. She says she needs rendering capabilites and such. I am not really familiar with video editing, rendering, capturing etc. I have so far put the following specs together and wanted your opinion on them and recommendation for video card. I am still waiting for my friend to tell me what software she plans to use as I learned from reading some of your articles here that it is important to know for video card selection. Here is what I have.

Asus P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 uATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
1 - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive for OS
2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for video and storage
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
HannsĀ·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers
Windows XP SP2

I chose the board because it supports 1333Mhz FSB that the processors uses, same with the memory. I want to make sure the board chipset is correct for a video dedicated machine, power supply is enough and I am having trouble picking the right graphics card. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Help pick video card for my machine
on Sep 23, 2007 at 3:03:41 am

what program is she using... and does it use the processor on the video card to do any rendering?

I am guessing the program uses the CPU to render, not the video card... any modern, decent quality card with 512meg will do.

ps I bought an hanns g monitor and returned it.. it wasn't that good. look for LCD reviews for color accuracy and good contrast.

Return to posts index

aplus
on Sep 23, 2007 at 2:39:33 pm

Thanks. I will look for a different monitor. Unfortunately I am replacing a machine that had PIII (really old) so she will need to purchase new software for the new machine and I don't know at this point what she is going to use. I saw on your sight about how its kind of important to know because the diff softwares utilize diff parts of vid cards.
That is pretty much what is holding me up. Are the other specs okay though?

Return to posts index

aplus
Help finalizing mahcine specs
on Sep 23, 2007 at 3:30:08 pm

One more thing. I am currently trying to decide between the following 2 cards for this machine.

PNY VCQFX1500-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX1500 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: VCQFX1500-PCIE-PB-V

OR

Update EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: 512-P2-N773-AR

On 1 hand the EVGA has 512MB and is the Nvidia 8 series on the other your site kind of pushes the idea of the quadro series for most of the software but I could not find any 512mb cards (that I could afford anyway).

My friend is not so much a huge rendering user but she creates art with video, 3D animation and colors. She is willing to put a lot into a machine up front with the hopes that it will be up to specs for the next few years.

Please help with advice this is the last piece of the mahcine I need to pick and then I can order, build and get it to her.

Thanks in advance for your help. By the way she mentioed Adobe 3D studio as a program, I am not really familiar with any of the video programs, not really my thing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 23, 2007 at 11:05:29 pm

nothing wrong with 256, but if she is using a dual monitor I might suggest 512, but 256 should be just fine.

check adobe's website about what they have tested and 'recommend' generally the two you are looking at should be fine.

I am a person that that will say--- anything will do. (just don't use the onboard video)

PS i am just an ordinary member of the forum not an employee of the website.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]