FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better vid card or better system setup w/cheaper card? HELP!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gordon_shumway
Better vid card or better system setup w/cheaper card? HELP!
on Sep 15, 2007 at 6:12:17 am

Here's my current setup:

AMD 64 x2 4400+
2 gigs 3200 DDR RAM
Raid 0 224gigs + 2TB storage tower
Radeon x700 Series Video Card 256
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
After Effects 5.5
Basic Firewire card
Canon XL-2 DV Camera
Basic Surround audio card

Where is my bottleneck? I keep looking at this insanely expensive Matrox RT.X2 card and am wondering... is it as good as you guys say it is here?

Admittedly I am having VERY slow rendering on Magic Bullet filters that take forever... My computer runs pretty fast except when it comes to doing video rendering of special filters like this.

Say I had $1700 and that's all I had to spend... what would you say is a necessity to improve?

Very much looking for honest responses. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Better vid card or better system setup w/cheaper card? HELP!
on Sep 18, 2007 at 3:44:31 pm

Problem with thes filters (and other third party AE plug ins) is that they don't take any advantage of the video card.

Matrox RT2 WILL NOT make your render faster. It works only for its own filters (and will demand a good video card anyway) and allows to play lossless sd files and hdv files in real time when adding some filters and/or several tracks.

AE 7 has a better render engine, and AE CS3 allows u to take advantage of multicore/multipocessor, u could try to get a tryout version and find out how it works on your pc.

Finally your system looks OK (IMO), i'm guessing but problem could be your motherboard. Cheap mobos don't get full advantage of components and show poor performance (but they are advertised as "compatible", "supports"... whatever, but are not meant to be used for video applications). The video card is fine for gaming (though not great), but it makes no difference for versions you work with.

Hopes this helps Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]