FORUMS: list search recent posts

So... What about Dual Xeon configurations?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gordon_shumway
So... What about Dual Xeon configurations?
on Sep 13, 2007 at 3:18:26 pm

Hello-

I stumbled across 2 XEON 5130 chips and am wondering what kind of a setup I can get away with for video editing on this? Mainly looking to get an intel motherboard, but I dunno what else I would need as far as video cards for this solution, as I did not see any dual Xeon workstation solutions in the DIY section. I run Premiere Pro.

Thanks in advance for any responses. If what I have is overkill (which I would hope not) please post. Overkill isn't a bad thing, but just wanna know my options since I can now take advantage of having some seriously nice processors!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: So... What about Dual Xeon configurations?
on Sep 14, 2007 at 3:28:55 am

buying a fast CPU can never be overkill... spending 2x as much money for a CPU that only gives you a 5-10% boost in performance is not the wisest financial decision. (I am not saying that about your CPU, just saying that for others to keep in mind)
SuperMicro and Tyan are known for dual socket boards (so are Intels)
if you got a good price for the CPUs, then go for it.

PPro has not been 'picky' on video cards, but look at adobe's website for tested video cards. Videoguys have suggested video cards in their DIY section of articles.

Return to posts index

gordon_shumway
on Sep 18, 2007 at 9:03:20 pm

I noted that the 5130 Woodcrest are the reccommended chips for the ultimate system. What is the difference between that and the Costa Rica chips? Is it gonna suffer performance not having the Woodcrest?

Sounds like the dual Xeon will be my way to go and with all my components I already have this should cost above $2000 to make the upgrade in total.

Answers on this would help a lot.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

eofeapr
on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:36:54 am

I'd compare the cache on the chips you like vs the Woodcrest I think the Woddcrest offers the highest cache' hence the strong recomendations from Adobe and the like.

Also, RE GPUs try to stick with Quadro if budget allows, Nvidia GForce for less expensive alternative. Read up on the PCIe models and decide. Nvidia ROCKS,,, even a GForce card will be good.

RE mobo,,, IMHO,,, TYAN TEMPEST, or TIGER 5500 Intel chipset

IF I'm wrong, experts please chime in and correct me...

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]