FORUMS: list search recent posts

DELL E521 or iMAC Please help: Newbie needs advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lecterielin
DELL E521 or iMAC Please help: Newbie needs advice
on Sep 10, 2007 at 6:20:02 pm

Hello All

I am a newbie to film editing and cannot make up my mind about the right software. I will be running Avid Xpress Pro HD. I currently have a DELL system but am thinking of getting the new iMAC. Please help me or give some hints/tips as to which system might be better. Here is how they stand:

My Dell E521
AMD Athlon 2 Core X2 4600+
2 GB RAM - PC4200 (this worries me)
256 MB ATI Radeon 1950 XT card
1 MB L2 Cache (this worries me)
250 GB HD (irrelevant as I have an external one too)
19inch LCD monitor
650 Watt power
2 DVD burners
3 Firewire ports

The iMAC
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz Extreme
2 GB RAM (DDR2 @ 667 - will this make a difference?)
ATI HD 2600 Pro w/ 256 MB (is my Dell card better?)
4 MB L2 Cache (vs 1 mb on my Dell)
24 inch LCD
DVD burner combo drive
500 GB HD

Which one is good enough? better? I was burning some DVDs (making video) on Nero on my Dell and noticed that there was an offshoot between sound and picture. Is it because my Dell is too slow? Does cache and bus speed matter that much? Please help. I will greatly appreciate ALL and ANY comments/suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: DELL E521 or iMAC Please help: Newbie needs advice
on Sep 13, 2007 at 9:19:00 pm

Both are good configurations, of course that iMAC is better beacuse is newer. Just consider that an iMAC doesn't allow expansion card and u'll be limited to firewire for capture.

-DDR 667 is bit better than PC4200 (DDR 533), u wont see much difference...

- The ATI HD 2600 Pro is newer, but is the midrange card of that serie; the Radeon 1950 XT is among the top, and is only 1 generation old. Is hard to say.

- The iMac has a better processor,but for that kind of money u can configure a much better PC (just avoid windows Vista)

Tell me more about your editing workflow, maybe we could find out why does it happen with the audio. ALso, what win version do u have in the Dell?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]