FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HV20/Matrox RT.X2

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tilford Bartman
Canon HV20/Matrox RT.X2
on Aug 4, 2007 at 12:10:06 pm

Hi,

I have the HV20. I find it very impressive for the price. It's HD 24p mode is particularly useful because the HV20 gets the best low light performance in that mode. Problem is Canon didn't add tags to it's 24P so all you can really do with it in 24P is record and display it. None of the standard NLE's can do pull down on it. So you can't use it for editing. I'd like to know how the RT.X2 would deal with Canon's 24P mode. Will it do correct pull down? A lot of these HV20's are going to be sold and will make a lot more people interested in HD editing. If the RT.X2 can do the 24P pull down on the HV20 I think quite a few of these boards are going to sell on that basis alone. I think the alternative would be to have something like Sony Vegas with Cineform NeoHD installed. NeoHD can do the pull down on the HV20. Then transcode it to something that that Premiere and the RT.X2 will like, but that is a real pain. I wouldn't want to buy the RT.X2 unless it could handle my entire work flow. Anyone know if RT.X2 can do 24P pull down on HV20?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Canon HV20/Matrox RT.X2
on Aug 4, 2007 at 3:37:09 pm

I have the HV20 and I LOVE IT!!! I've been so ahppy with it, and talking it up so much that several of the guys here have also got it now.

The new RT.X2 Ver 3 drivers add support for the Canon:

Canon 24f and 30f mode support
RT.X2 currently supports the Canon 1080i resolution. The RT.X2 3.0 release supports the 24f and 30f modes as well.
These are 23.98 fps and 29.97 fps HDV recording formats.

I have not yet played with 24p and the new drivers, but we will over the next couple of weeks.

Gary

Return to posts index

Tilford Bartman
Re: Canon HV20/Matrox RT.X2
on Aug 5, 2007 at 2:05:06 am

I think it's doubtful the RT.X2 will do the 24p pull down on the Canon HV20. But I'd be interested to know if it does. So far as far as I can tell only the Cineform products will do it. The only alternative is a fairly complicated work flow using several different mostly shareware programs.

Tilford

Return to posts index

Tilford Bartman
24P won't go out from Premiere to HV20 Tape
on Aug 5, 2007 at 7:01:52 am

I've been playing all night with the HV20 Premiere CS3 and Aspect HD. Aspect HD will do the pull down on HV2o 24p, that's not a problem. I can edit the 24p on the timeline all I want. But when it comes time to output it back out to HV20 tape, you can't do it. The HV20 won't accept it. You have to transcode it to something that's not progressive. At 1080i it goes out to tape. Anything progressive I get a message on the HV20 LCD that the signal is unsupported. So it looks like you can only play you movie out from tape on the HV20 in 1080i. You could archive the 24p on hard disk or on optical disk if it wasn't too large, but you can't get it back out to HV20 tape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]