FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quad core and video cards

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexg
Quad core and video cards
on Jul 22, 2007 at 4:04:37 pm

With the current massive drop in prices do you think it's wise to get a quad core now that one can be had for less that $250? Is there a comparison of quad vs dual cores using editing software anywhere?

Also I'm having a hard time choosing a graphics card. Would one of the less expensive quadros be better than one of the new nvidia 8800 cards?

This system would be running avid xpress, premiere and other adobe software.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Quad core and video cards
on Jul 22, 2007 at 4:14:37 pm

Quad cores help, but neither the hardware nor the software are optimized to take advantage of four cores yet. There is a slight improvement over dual core, but not much.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2014646,00.asp

For standard video editing, fancy 3D graphics cards aren't needed. If you get heavily involved in compositing (After Effects), then you can take advantage of a better graphics card.

Check with the software vendors on their recommended cards.

Return to posts index

Alexg
on Jul 22, 2007 at 4:29:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. This would also be running after effects and hopefully in the near future editing HD footage so that's why I'm worried about choosing the best graphics card for my system that doesn't cost $1000. I'll give a look at the vendors recommended cards. The thought didn't even cross my mind to check it out before.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:38:54 pm

There's a plug in called Nucleo, it's a render enhancer for After Effects. I tried the demo and was quite impressed, it cut the render time of a comp from 55 minutes to 19!

It was very demanding, on RAM specially, and if it got out of memory the whole thing got really slow. Anyway, it uses as many prossesors/cores available to speed up render, the result I mentioned was on a core2, so on a quad core should work faster (but i'd recomend 3 GB of RAM).

Nvidia cards work pretty well on AE, never really work with a quadro but I think the adavange they may have is to enable the Open GL render (this way the final render is dode by CPU+GPU, not CPU only).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]