FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving HD Programming Onto Blu-Ray Disc

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulfournier
Archiving HD Programming Onto Blu-Ray Disc
on Jul 17, 2007 at 7:56:37 pm

I have been reading about the new BDR-202 blue ray writer drive on the Videoguys web site. I am considering buying it, but I have a few questions to help me decide whether or not to go ahead with it.

1. I am interested in archiving HD programs that I have recorded from HDTV network broadcasts onto my Comcast DVR set-top box (Motorola DCT3412 I). Would it be possible to do this with this drive? My computer is a Sony Viao Digital Studio PC (PCV-RZ16G) with Windows XP. I realize that movies and some HBO programs may be copy protected, but I am thinking that some HDTV broadcasts might not be copy protected.

2. Would you recommend an external drive instead of the internal drive to do this (my home PC is located across the room from my DVR set-top box)?

3. In light of the placement of my PC across the room from my DVR set-top box, would I be better off buying a Sony Viao laptop that includes a Blu-ray recorder drive installed therein so that I could set the laptop on top of my DVR set-top box for recording? I understand that such a laptop would likely already include any necessary software stored thereon. Also, the laptop would enable me to easily play back the recorded Blu-ray discs for viewing on my plasma TV located next to the DVR set-top box.

4. What would be the best cable for connecting between the set-top box and the PC drive or laptop to archive the HD programs stored in my set-top box?

5. Would I need to purchase the BDR-202 bundle on the Videoguys website including the Voxio software? I don't believe my PC currently has any software on it for copying onto Blu-ray discs.

5. In light of my desired reasons for purchasing this in item 1, should I instead just wait until regular stand-along Blu-Ray recorders are released in the U.S.? Do you happen to know when videoguys.com will be selling these Blu-Ray stand alone recorders?

Sorry for the detailed questions, but I want to make sure that this will work for me before I spend over $1000.00.

Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]