P4 3.00GHz
WD800JB system drive
Maxtor6Y250 SATA Data drive
Pioneer107D DVD burner
Matrox Millenium P650
Matrox RT.x100 Extreme Pro
Premier Pro V7.0 (C522 8/11/03)
XP Home edition SP1

I produce training tapes (haven't for some time, but getting back into it.)
I remember back that this whole system was rather clunky, and burning DVD's never really worked with larger projects. (vids one - two hours)

I was advised not to load virus software, so I never connected it to the internet. I mention this as it's the reason I didn't just go hunting updates and try it out myself. I'm asking, if software/bios were updated, is this creature going to come back to a usable status, or is it a waste? Connecting to the net would not be a problem if updating this beast would be worth it.

Another question, is loading Norton AV still a no no?

thanks so much in advance,

Steve

PS And back in the day (no less than 3 edit suites) I made most all of my purchases through Videoguys!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Old Suite; if updated good enough?
on Jul 17, 2007 at 3:24:03 pm

Exactly, what updates do u have in mind?

The configuration is a bit old, but it should handle DV projects with ease. Norton is sort of demanding but with 1 GB of ram it's enough, if u want to be on the net.

Sometimes is enough to reinstall windows in order to improve performance.

Return to posts index

steveparkhill
on Jul 17, 2007 at 3:37:26 pm

Hey, thanks for getting to this post so quickly!

I was referring to software updates. Specifically to Premiere Pro, and the bundled adobe DVD burning software. Or maybe a newer/different product offering instead of the latter.

I see Premiere is up to 2.0, which I'm sure I'd have to pay as an upgrade. But I was wondering if the original pro had bug updates that came after my release. And of course I was wondering about the drivers for the RT x100 card.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Jul 18, 2007 at 9:13:23 pm

Premiere Pro2 should work fine. Matrox has updated drivers for RTx100 and RTx10, but they are limited to 480 projects, HDV will work natively but you'll notice poor performance since they are not designed for.

If u could switch to XP Pro that'll make it. The first PP was really buggy but version 2 improved a lot, can't wait to see CS3 (I really doubt RTx will haver support, I asume matrox will only update RT2 and axio). U can get the drivers a matrox.com as well as a full guide for updating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]