FORUMS: list search recent posts

ASUS P5W DH new build IDE Drives

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sammyblanks
ASUS P5W DH new build IDE Drives
on Apr 24, 2007 at 10:58:45 am

Hi,

I am building a new PC with the P5W DH DELUXE mobo, an e6600, 2 gig ram, xfx 7300gs gfx card, and I have one 80Gb Sata Drive, a 250Gb Sata Drive, and a 500Gb Sata drive. I also have an 80Gb ide drive. In my previous system I ran them like this. 80Gb IDE as Master/Boot disk. 80Gb Sata drive as Preview drive, and the 250 and 500Gbs as Video drives. I was using the Asus P5LD2 SE mobo. With the P5WDH, I'm a little confused as to what way to use the drives. What IDE slot on the board should I connect the IDE drive to? Should I use that drive as my Boot drive. (In the manual, it says to use the drive connected to SATA 1 as the boot disk. Which should I do? What is the best way to intergrate SATA and IDE drives in a build with this Mobo?

Cheers

SammyB

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: ASUS P5W DH new build IDE Drives
on Apr 24, 2007 at 8:57:25 pm

whenever i build a machine i use SATA drives only. the only IDE device in the system is the dvd burner.

if you already have an ide drive, just connect it to the PRIMARY controller and set it to MASTER. CDROM/DVD drives should go on the SECONDARY chain.

- Jon

Return to posts index

EricBowen
IDE drive setup
on Apr 25, 2007 at 4:11:59 pm

Well normally you use the IDE drive as the OS since you will rarely be writing to that drive accept when installing programs. Read speed from IDE drives are about as good as SATA. Its the write speed that Sata and especially Sata 2 really shine at due to native command queing. I would use the IDE drive as the OS drive and it should be on the primary controller which should be labeled on the board as IDE 0. I cant remember if its blue or black.

Return to posts index

sammyblanks
Re: ASUS P5W DH new build IDE Drives
on Apr 25, 2007 at 4:27:15 pm

ThATS VERY HELPFUL. THANKS. The problem i'm up against now is that I've found an install guide which I'll paste here ...

In general, this is the sequence of actions to be implemented. Please note: RESTART your PC each time after having installed drivers/software at each step!!!!

1. Reset CMOS first, prior upgrading to BIOS 1707
2. Upgrade BIOS, reset CMOS afterwards
3. Change BIOS settings to your requirements (RAID, SATA/AHCI, disable JMciron, set required RAM voltage, enable 32-Bit Data Transfer)
4. Make Intel Matrix F6 drivers on floppy-disks using Floppy Configuration Utility - IntelĀ® Matrix Storage Manager
5. Make JMicron F6 drivers on floppy disks (if you're planning to use JMicron)
6. Install XP SP2, use F6 to install RAID or SATA drivers from floppy-disks
7. Install Intel Chipset Software Utility after having installed XP,
8. Install MARVELL Yukon LAN driver
9. Make Internet connection and install latest DirectX
10. Install full Intel Matrix Storage Manager
11. Install full JMicron driver software (if you're planning to use JMicron)
12. Install all other required drivers of ONBOARD components (Realtek Audio, realtek wireless LAN). Do NOT yet install Graphics card driver/software)
13. Connect to Microsoft Update and install all required security updates
14. Install driver/software Graphics card
15. Install driver for your particular MONITOR from the accompanied CD (or download it from manufacturer's download site), replacing the Plug&Play windows monitor driver!!
16. Install all required application software (Office, etc.)
17. Connect to Microsoft Update, installing security updates for Office
18. If you're having a LCD monitor, download and install Microsoft's ClearType Tuner for XP only, which enables improving the readability of texts on your screen:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/7/0/b7019730-0fa3-47a9-a159-98b80c...
19. Finetune BIOS to reduce boottime
20. Download and install CCleaner (freeware!), and keep your system clean and lean
21. Download, install (and purchase at only US$ 39,99) Raxco's PerfectDisk defragger, a microsoft certified XP/VISTA compliant defragger which does a decent defrag of your harddisks and keeps your system running at highest speed: http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/pd_download_home.cfm
SPECIAL 20% DISCOUNT valid up to and January 31, 2007. Your discount couponcode=ABX20
22. Download and install FREE AVG anti-virus scanner:
http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg75free_432a861.exe
23. Download and install Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) version 6, much faster and more stable than any earlier version:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
24. Want to know anything about your PC? Use (freeware) SIW - System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw_download.html

*** End of Driver Install Guide ***

NOW. Some of the processes its asking for me to go through here, I've never done before, and I'm a bit apprehensive about doing. I don't think I need to do all of it.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
Is the guide correct in what it asks the builder to do?
Also, I now have more SATA disks than there are connections for on the board, without using the EZ Raid or JMicron connectors. How can I use these if I'm not setting up RAID on my system. I'm going to use my IDE for OS, and I have a 500GB, a 200GB, a 160BG, and an 80GB SATA drives. WHAT DO I DO? Please be as detailed as possible; as if you are talking to a child. I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

SammyB

Return to posts index

EricBowen
IDE Setup
on Apr 26, 2007 at 6:25:11 pm

Hehe well thats kinda an open question. That list is much more extensive than you need yes.

Easiest way to explain this is probably this:
1: Skip steps 1 through 6 and just install XP after you hit DEL on boot up to enter setup and change the boot device priority to cdrom as the first boot device. Follow XP install instructions and just make sure you choose the right hard drive.

2: Follow Step 7 just as is.

3: Load Network card drivers from CD and connect to internet to run XP updates. Dont forget to update the optional updates that include framework and media player. install the framework updates 1 version at a time and then install the critical updates for that version. Many video drivers use framework for the software control panel for that device.

4: Install Asus update utility from cd and downlaod the latest bios. Then run the asus update utility from Windows to update your bios. System will reboot and throw you a checksum error. Just hit F1 and set your bios settings then save and exit.

5: Downlaod and Install peripheral device drivers from Asus accept for the chipset driver.

6: Install any further programs you want installed and skip all further steps on their list.

Note : load 3rd party software for security and virus protection at your own risk. If its not a name you recognize be carefull. Trend Micro or AVG antivirus should be fine and software firewall is optional. Many internet security packages can bog or hose a system if poorly written. So select carefully.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]