FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overclocking an MSI 975X Platinum

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Bruce Argue
Overclocking an MSI 975X Platinum
on Apr 18, 2007 at 7:21:17 am

I see that you don't recommend this for numpties like me who don't know what they are doing and I don't want to fry my PC. However, I have been told this board takes overclocking very well and I should try a mild overclock to say 3Ghz.

Is there a safe way for idiots to do this or should I leave this sort of thing to the geeks? I guess it would be the auto equivalent of messing with rev limiters/engine management systems with similar implications?

Return to posts index

EricBowen
overclocking
on Apr 19, 2007 at 4:38:36 pm

The safest way is to increase the bus 5 mhz at a time without increasing the vcore more than .1v and use stock core for as long as possible. The second part is changing the ddr2 ram divider so the ram stays within stock or 100 MHZ of stock speed. Also the ram timing settings should be 5-5-5-15 while your playing with OC. Also keep in mind with DDR2 performance jumps much more from increasing spead than lowering latency which is opposite of DDR. So when you get your cpu to a lvl you want then look at increasing ram speed. Also dont put the ram Voltage above 2.2 v and keep the northbridge voltage within .05 v of stock. That will blow your board faster than anything if heat is not well under control. That is basically the process for overclocking.

Return to posts index

Bruce Argue
Re: Overclocking an MSI 975X Platinum
on Apr 19, 2007 at 10:01:54 pm

Many thanks. It's all Greek to me. I think I better leave it to the grown-ups Smile

Return to posts index

EricBowen
OC
on Apr 20, 2007 at 4:16:00 pm

Sorry about that. Basically the easiest way to overclock without blowing the board is to increase the bus frequency of the cpu from say 266 to 333 without raising the voltage if possible for the board you have. Try that without changing anything else and see if your board will handle it. If it doesnt boot pull the bios battery after you shut the system down and unplug the power cable. Let me know what happens.

Return to posts index

Bruce Argue
Re: Overclocking an MSI 975X Platinum
on Apr 20, 2007 at 6:56:01 pm

Thanks, that sounds a whole load easier. However, I have to get RAID 0 sorted, the graphics card, s/w installed, old PC data transferred etc. before I go off at a tangent. I'll give it a try when it's all up and running. The new PC has so many fans, I think I'll have to screw it down so it doesn't take-off Very Happy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]