FORUMS: list search recent posts

NVidia Quadro 1500 card vs Mobo

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GEORDIE_21
NVidia Quadro 1500 card vs Mobo
on Apr 17, 2007 at 10:32:40 am

Hello all, can somebody please offer me some advice, I'm currently cutting with an HP XW8200 running Avid Adrenaline...but i'm planning a build for home use to run Avid DV Xpress pro possibly with a mojo. I dont want to spend crazy money on a HP workstation so am going down the DIY route as Ive always fancied it. This is my dilemma, I love the look of the Asus P5W DH Deluxe board - it has all the features Im looking for including easy raid setup etc, except I dont think its compatible with the Nvidia Quadro FX 1500 GPU which seems to be the benchmark for an Avid system.
I'm hoping someone who is running an Avid DV Xpress pro / mojo system with a quadro 1500card can tell me their experiences with their motherboard of choice. I want to avoid as many conflicts as possible hence asking for your advice.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: NVidia Quadro 1500 card vs Mobo
on Apr 17, 2007 at 5:35:23 pm

everything should work fine. just make sure you get a PCI-E version of the fx 1500 card.

- Jon

Return to posts index

GEORDIE_21
on Apr 18, 2007 at 6:59:57 am

Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to reply

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Quadro 1500 and P5WDH
on Apr 19, 2007 at 5:20:40 pm

I have set many an NLE station up with both these and have not seen an issue yet. Only thing to watch out for is the DH bios updates. That board is up to version 19+ last i checked which is crazy for a mobo. Believe me the bios updates until 14 were a disaster for the most part. Not to mention after 14 heat became a serious issue. That is your biggest concern with that setup.

Return to posts index

GEORDIE_21
on Apr 20, 2007 at 6:55:26 am

Thanks Eric, I read on the Asus website a couple of days ago about the bios updates, I'll make sure I ask the retailer before I purchase. Apparently to update the bios as well you have to be running a non core 2 processor which would be a ball ache for myself as I'd have to go and purchase one just to do the updates. Thanks again

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Bios updates
on Apr 20, 2007 at 4:09:43 pm

That info is incorrect regarding a single core required to update the bios. You can use the standard core 2 or even a quad core to update the bios on that board without any issue. I have done it many times without any problems. What can cause a problem though is leaving the AI over clocking to auto during the bios update and heat shutting down the system or causing it to lock during an update. The asus AI overclock presets are very aggresive, especially with regards to vcore voltage which will cause the system to heat up and cause instability. Change all settings with regards to jumperless config to manual and set to stock before you update the bios and you shouldnt have a problem. This has been the case since the P5W DH bios that recognized the Core 2 cpu ID which was post bios update 7 I believe.

Return to posts index

katfood
OpenGL vs ATI
on May 20, 2007 at 4:05:25 am

As I am a heavy Adobe (OpenGL) user, and the P5W is designed with ATI CrossFire graphics cards in mind, I was a little concerned. It appears, from the posts above, that the FX1500 will work fine with the P5W DH Deluxe. My thoughts were to build the "Best DIY5 Core 2 Duo" machine with the exception of the listed graphics card. I don't plan on using more than one card.

Or perhaps in my ignorance I do not realize that the ATI Radeon X1950PRO 512MB will be just fine for my Adobe workstation.

Are there flaws in my mental model?

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]