Considering HD! WHAT DO I NEED????
on Apr 16, 2007 at 5:40:49 pm

Hello,
I have the following computer:
Computer configuration:

- Thermaltake TSUNAMI (black) Case

- OCZ 520W power supply

- 3 GB RAM

- Asus PC-DL Deluxe DUAL Xeon/Intel 533 fsb 82875P 533 FSB ATX 82875P/SA/GBE/1394/ATX mboard MFN PC-DL DELUXE

- CPU XEON 3.2 GHz 533 FSB L3 1MB BX80532KE3200E

- WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor

- Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA Raid Controller PCI Card Serial-ATA SATA

- 2 WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM
( RAID 0 Configuration)

- ASUS 5232ASQT-BLK BLACK 52X32X52 CD-RW CD-RW Drive Internal IDE FlextraLink

- PLEXTOR DVD/RW PX-712SA/BPS-BL SATA

- MITSUMI FLOPPY,7 in 1, BLACK ,CARD,READER

- CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM PRO EXT DRIVE

- GeForce FX 5600 Video Card 256MB

- FIRE WIRE ADD ON 4 PORT

- USB 2.0 5 PORT ADD ON CARD NEC CHIPSET TRUE 5 PORTS ON BACK

+ a Canon XL2, Sony Vegas 7, Etronix 15" LCD moniter

And I'm considering buying a Canon XL-H1 HD and would like to know what else I need to capture and edit HD (as in capture devices, hard drives, video card, DVD drive (to write the HD video to a DVD/HDDVD) and what models and brands would you suggest?).

Also, what setting would I need to change in Vegas 7?

And can anybody tell me approx. how many minutes of HD video (at highest quality) will fit on 1GB of space?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Zechariah, Cool

Return to posts index

EricBowen
HD Questions
on Apr 18, 2007 at 11:59:47 pm

Well this is kinda a tall question here. The Canon XL H1 has HDV and HD-SDI for 1080i HD-SDI. The difference of course is compression and the data transfer rate. HDV on average is only about 30% bigger than DV
DV = 18 to 20 mbits/sec
HDV = 25 to 29 mbits per second

So your raid 0 will easily handle that. An hours worth of DV is about 8 to 10 GB which puts HDV about 13 to 15 GB. Now remember this is compressed data at 4:2:0

The HD-SDI is a standard that transfers at 1.485 Gbit/s or 668.25 GB an hour. That is of course uncompressed probably 8bit 4:2:2. That unfortunately is well above your current storage capacity and also the transfer rate would be to high for just a 2 drive raid 0. You would need atleast a 4 drive raid 0 with seagate sata2 perpindicular drives to handle that live capture. Those start at 320GB up to 750 though the 500's would be the way to go for the price point. Also I would suggest a Highpoint PCIe raid controller if your adaptec is not sata 2 as well to handle the raid.

If you are planning on recording to tape on the cam then HDV is of course your only HD option. I would honestly start there and if you get that camera try the HDV and see what you think. From what I have seen its pretty impressive for compressed data. The only issue you run into is the compressed audio and what your audio quality standards are. If you have another mic/audio recording setup to handle your audio versus running the audio through the camera then thats not an issue.

Your system will handle HDV without issue especially with Vegas. Vegas actually captures HDV inside the editor instead of outside like analog/DV. You may want to get Cineform's Connect HD for Vegas though if you really want some nice plugin and format support for Vegas as well as multiple resolutions on the time line.

If you are planning the uncompressed HD then your system is going to need a serious makeover atleast in the storage, videocard , and most likely an entire rebuilt machine. A single Quad Core system is going to be far better than what you have and will definately handle what you want. Your Xeon is a question mark at best since Vegas is CPU/system overhead heavy instead of GPU heavy like Adobe. Your system would be fine for the HDV option in Vegas but HD uncompressed is probably not going to happen with it. The video card needs to be a Quadro 1500 really for HDV or higher if you want any real amount of effects realtime on the timeline with multiple video tracks.

Thats about the gist friend. Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
Re: Considering HD! WHAT DO I NEED????
on Apr 26, 2007 at 1:17:38 am

thank you for the info.
I'm still kind of new to HD. WOW Confused there sure is a lot to learn. Laughing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]