FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diy editing system processor advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg19606
Diy editing system processor advice
on Apr 6, 2007 at 8:42:42 pm

Hi everyone

I have been looking at your DIY articles and have been kicking around some possibillities for a new system to replace my aging thunderbird based system.

I'am currently captuing mainly SD but i'am looking at purchsing jvc hd110 of in the near future. I would like to be able to capture and edit uncompressed HD In the future as well.

That being said I'am currently trying to minizme the cost at this moment but be able to upgrade when the time comes.

I have been reading your DIY section and have been able to come up with a few processor and memory options. Any Feed back is appriciated.

Option #1
Dual pentium xeon 2.4GHZ
2GB DDR Ram
Option #2
1 woodcrest 2.0ghz
2GB DDR RAM
This would be in a dual socket motherboard for future expansion
Option #3
1 dual core opteron 1.8GHz
2GB DDR RAM
Again this would be a dual socket board
Option #4
Pentium D 805 overclocked to 3.5~4GHZ range
2GB RAM
Dirt cheep would just be replace when the time comes

If anyone has any advice as to which one might be the better choice it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Greg Griffith

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Diy editing system processor advice
on Apr 8, 2007 at 3:10:58 am

i would choose option #4
just don't over clock it that much

option #1 would be my 2nd choice

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Apr 10, 2007 at 7:25:42 pm

i agree. option 4 is your best choice.

- Jon

Return to posts index

greg19606
on Apr 12, 2007 at 12:49:41 am

Thanks for the advice I will go with the Pentium D 805 as per the reccomendations . ( Though I may be tempted to go for the core 2 duo).
Thanks again
Greg

P.S I don't know does the diy articles but I was looking at your update for the dual woodcrest and I believe that motheboard takes FBDIMMS instead of standard DDR. I may be wrong though.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 12, 2007 at 1:19:37 am

The Core 2 Duo would give you the best performance based on video encoding benchmark tests. Quad core did not significantly improve the performance. You probably won't see any benefit to quad core until both the chipsets and software is optimized for quad, probably next year.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Choices for cpu/mobo
on Apr 19, 2007 at 5:43:25 pm

I hope you didnt go ahead with the 800 series yet. The old netburst scpu's are dog slow even way overclocked compared to even AMD X series not to mention Core 2's which are 30 to 40 % faster than AMD right now. The price difference if you go with a 6300- 6600 cannot be worth buying a dinosaur considering a 6600 goes for around 300 right now. Next if you going to OC you cannot touch the OC ability of a Core 2 wih Any other chip because its 60 to 80 watts versus 120 to 140 for the netburst chips. Second If you plan ahead and get a quad core ready mobo now down the road your huge system upgrade is cheap and easy.

Now for HD uncompressed your 2 biggest road blocks are drive transfer rates and ingest ability. 8 Bit uncompressed 4:2:2 is between 550 and 670 GB's an hour. You transfer rate to your hdd's needs to be between 200 and 250 mb's per second at a minimum. This means your looking towards a sata 2 raid controller with atleast 4 drives on a raid 0. If you want raid 5 with 5 drives then you have to remember that greatly increases the overhead on the CPU's. Dual Core at that point will be stressed quite abit so you would probably want the Woodcrests at that point. The Quad cores become much more an option the faster your render times need to be since that is where you will actually see a significant performance increase. I wouldnt go with anything lower than a core 2 at this point either way.

Second what are you looking for Ingest wise and what connections does your camera have. Anymore for the pricepoint Decklink and AJA are the way to go. Also your video card is important here as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]