FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drive question again

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george giles
Drive question again
on Apr 3, 2007 at 9:15:33 pm

Hello, must have liked the last question so I'll ask it again in a different way.
What is the most important things to consider when picking drives for a SD/HD edit system?
I think I want sata 300 which I gather means 300 mbits/sec transfer rate?? bigger I guess is better.
Is the seek rate important?
Should I be concerned about the buffer memory? 8mb, 16mb??
Is it better to have one large drive or two smaller drives?
Thanks again.[/b]

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Drive question again
on Apr 5, 2007 at 12:22:29 am

SATA 300 doesn't mean your hard drive will transfer 3gb per sec. it just means Serial ATA max burst transfer rate is 3gb. A hard drive can not read that much that fast.

You are looking for large cache drives like 16mb
fast drives like 7200 RPM or 10,000 RPM
and as short of a seek time as possible.
better to have multiple smaller drives in RAID verses 1 Large drive.

Return to posts index

george giles
on Apr 5, 2007 at 1:01:53 am

Thanks
I currently use 10K SCSI drives as required by DPS Velocity and I'm a little concerned about the life span of these SATA drives but I guess for the money it's worth it. But the thought of dealing with a dead drive with lots of valuable video on it gives me a headache.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Apr 5, 2007 at 3:45:50 pm

do a RAID 5 if you are afraid of getting a dead drive.

Return to posts index

george giles
on Apr 5, 2007 at 4:13:17 pm

I'm thinking of getting three Seagate / 250GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drives.
Don't know what you mean about Raid 5 but what do you think of that drive?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Apr 5, 2007 at 8:14:46 pm

go Google RAID or RAID 5 to learn about RAIDs

Return to posts index

george giles
on Apr 5, 2007 at 9:10:59 pm

Oh yea, just read up on raid 5, I don't think so.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Hard Drive question
on Apr 20, 2007 at 4:26:38 pm

When looking at HD the ultimate concern is transfer rate per second. Your storage setup needs to handle a stream of 200 to 350 MB/s or you start dropping frames. Mind you this is uncompressed HD and not HDV. HDV can be captured on 1 drive. Basically for 1080i29.97 8 bit your looking at a minumum transfer rate of 220 MB/s. This means you need atleast 4 drives in a raid 0 array that are sata 2. Mind you with the newer Seagate perpindicular technology for drives 320GB and up, Sata is now as fast as Scsi until the drive gets more than 50 to 60% full. Thats when the Sata drives performance drops more than half. So you need to build your storage constraints with Sata around that margin. Take the average size of 1 project and double it. Thats the minumum space needed for your HD array with Sata drives. Mind you Sata is still much cheaper than scsi so its well worth it, not to mention you can get much bigger drives. Seek times are only a consideration when your in asynchronis write or read mode which is what scsi shines at. Keep the Sata drives 50% or below with regards to filled capacity and you will be fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]