FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture software that retains gaps in footage

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Macca
Capture software that retains gaps in footage
on Apr 3, 2007 at 3:47:35 pm

I have DV tapes that contain a mix of footage with unrecorded blanks between segments of footage. I want to capture this intact, ie it is important to include blanks. I realise that the unrecorded sections have no incorporated information (eg timecode), but are there any software packages that can be set to include such blanks in captured footage?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

kmchale509
Re: Capture software that retains gaps in footage
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:13:27 pm

What type of NLE software do you use? I would think that your software would capture the footage the same way that you play back your footage, so if you were capturing and you came to a blank spot it would continue to capture the blank spot until the next set of footage appears. I don't know this for a fact because I have not tried it, but it is an educated guess.

Return to posts index

Macca
on Apr 4, 2007 at 11:32:18 am

I have tried Windows Movie Maker 2, Ulead Videostudio 10 plus and Pure Motion Editstudio 5. They all just cut out the no-footage sections and either join all footage together as one clip or split it into many small clips depending on the options selected. Unfortunately, what I want is one long clip that includes the information of how long the gaps are, or a technique that allows me to automatically reconstruct a storyboard based on time and date timestamp info.

I could do it manually to the nearest second, but this would take weeks of very boring work....we're talking about a LOT of short pieces of footage!

Still desperate for a solution!

Return to posts index

kmchale509
on Apr 4, 2007 at 2:43:28 pm

Just a thought here, maybe not the best solution, is to do a deck to deck edit and rerecord the footage onto a new tape. With the new recording, the tape should record a new time code during the blank spots which would give you one continuous time code. I have not worked with those particular programs, but I suspect when the time code breaks between clips, the programs thinks it needs to stop capturing. Take the new recorded tape and try to capture from that. If you do not like this for a solution, try it as a test anyway to see if this will solve your problem. At least you can figure out a solution to avoid future issues like this.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Capturing dead spots
on Apr 18, 2007 at 10:34:52 pm

Also you might try setting the editor to not use source timecode and use the system to timecode the ingest instead. That might stop the editor from stopping the ingest when the capture hits a dead area. Just an idea here, never tried it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]