FORUMS: list search recent posts

Everything but the drives

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george giles
Everything but the drives
on Mar 29, 2007 at 7:32:47 pm

Hi, I am building a system for the Matrox X2 to do SD & HD editing with lots of After Effects.
I think I have found all the parts I need following the DIY5 diagram you guys were so nice to lay out but I am stuck on the drives.
I want to make sure I have the throughput required to run 3 layers real time of HDV video shot on a JVC110 camera if that helps. Excuse my ignorance, I have been in the TV business for over 20 years and feel like I am starting over now with this HD stuff.
So my question, are those Hitachi drives you have listed with the DIY5 fast enough to do what I want or do you suggest something else that is affordable. The Matrox site recommends raids that cost up to $6K and the ones you guys are recommending are less than $500. Whats up with that?
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Everything but the drives
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:55:25 pm

tough question to answer. it really depends on the amount of effects you're doing and how long those effects last for. we have done 3 layers, but with a title and a transition all of which lasted maybe 10 secs max. the hitachi RAID worked fine for that. for longer effects or more in depth you have to use a faster RAID like SCSI or Fiber.

- Jon

Return to posts index

george giles
Re: Everything but the drives
on Mar 30, 2007 at 2:53:39 pm

10 seconds is plenty for just about any transition effect. So what happens when the you max it out? does it just put up a blue bar telling you to render or does it go squirrely and just shut down.
Also, what is the throughput on those Hitachi drives?
If I had 4 of them inside that box would I have a heat issue?
This is the one area I am most confused about. Could you recommend a better drive or larger drive? and what about the "controller" is that a separate piece of hardware or is it software? and does the type of MOBO or drives determine the type of "controller" I use. Sorry if I sound like an idiot.
Thanks again for the advice. I will try to purchase as much of the parts as I can from you guys when I do pull the trigger.
These are the parts so far -
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor-$308. it's $250 less than the E6700 so???
Asus P5WDG2-WS $329.
Asus 7950GT 512MB Video Card EN7950GT/HTDP/512M $330.
Kingston HyperX KHX6400D2/1G 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 $120.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]