FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding Speed

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harold Ek
Encoding Speed
on Mar 15, 2007 at 8:51:23 pm

Re; Premiere Pro 1.5

At a community access TV channel, we have been experimenting to determine the effect of some hardware on encoding time. We tested 5 different Systems with CPUs from 2.2 to 3.4ghz, one with dual Xeon processors. Ram from .5 to 2gb. The encoder we used was the installed PPro1.5 2 pass WMV9 encoder at 512K and 128k rates.

The encoding ran from 2.77 to 4.26 times the project length.
After reviewing the results I draw the conclusion that CPU speed was the only significant factor. Even the dual CPU did not seem to offer any improvement. Ram between .5 & 2gb did not appear to offer any benefit.

I would appreciate any comments, and can certainly provide further details.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Encoding Speed
on Mar 17, 2007 at 12:56:10 pm

encoding is very CPU intensive. Some software will take advantage of dual cores or dual processors better than others. YOu are running an old version of Premiere. IUpgrading to 2.0 shoudl give you a boost in encoding.

Gary

Return to posts index

Harold Ek
Re: Encoding Speed
on Mar 17, 2007 at 5:58:23 pm

videoguy: encoding is very CPU intensive. Some software will take advantage of dual cores or dual processors better than others. YOu are running an old version of Premiere. IUpgrading to 2.0 shoudl give you a boost in encoding.

Gary

Thanks for your response, but details please.
Perhaps improperly, I interpreted 2.0 as primarily adding HD capability, which I do not need.
Are you saying that the encoder that is included with 2.0 will provide higher speed?
Very specificly if it would utilize the dual CPUs that may make it worthwhile.
I was also surprised by the fact that the higher RAM values did not seem to have any benefit. Would that be helped also?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]