FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY5 32 or 64 Bit

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R-dub
DIY5 32 or 64 Bit
on Mar 11, 2007 at 12:03:13 am

That is the question?,whats best? Also a video card Asus X1950 pro $199
any comments on that card. If im just editing home movies can I get away with 1, 250GB video storage? last question cheaper tower suggestions,
Thanks tryin to save alittle cash

Return to posts index

curtisdf
same question here
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:02:34 pm

*bump*

I'm also building a DIY 5 machine (dual-core dual-xeon) and wondering whether to run WinXP 32-bit or 64-bit on it. Anyone have comments? I know in regard to Vista, VideoGuys recommend sticking with 32-bit until all the software and drivers have 64-bit versions. Same thing applies to XP then???

Thanks,
Curtis

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DIY5 32 or 64 Bit
on Jun 8, 2007 at 3:57:03 pm

there is currently no benefit to running a 64 bit OS. from our system recommendations page http://www.videoguys.com/system.htm

64 bit is the future - but it is not here yet for NLE.

We are extremely excited about multi-core processors and 64 bit operating system. These cutting edge new technologies are going to be very beneficial for video editing. The increased processing power will make rendering and encoding much faster and enable additional features. We also expect to see video editing software and hardware that will be fully optimized for these new technologies to deliver a whole new level of real-time features and performance.

As we move to HD this additional processing power will become even more important. A 1080i HDV file actually contains 5 times the data of a standard DV file. While this data can be packed into a stream the same size as a DV file, when it comes time to process and edit the video, you need to be able to handle all the additional bits of data. I am certain that in the not to distant future we will be recommending multi-core processors and WinXP64 OS / Vista - but not yet.

While these machines are now becoming available, we're urging our customers to use caution here. None of our video editing solutions is written for Windows XP64, and we do not yet have enough real-world feedback to tell you what if any issues are cropping up. While in theory you should be able to run 32 bit applications under XP64, we do not know what kind of trouble that may cause for video editing. To take full advantage of this next technology leap we are going to need NLE software (and hardware) that is optimized for winXP64 and multicore processors as well.

Over the next several months we will be compiling tips and tweaks pages for the new 64 bit version of Windows XP and we will be putting up a page on our website for them.

Gary

Return to posts index

curtisdf
Thanks!!!!!!
on Jun 8, 2007 at 5:51:27 pm

Thanks!!!!! Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]