FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about storage for DIY5 Vaporizer

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kmchale509
Question about storage for DIY5 Vaporizer
on Mar 1, 2007 at 5:37:06 pm

Hello,
I am planning on using the Vaporizer as a model to build my first editing machine. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about HDD storage. Currently I work in an enviroment where several editors work on the same machine. We currently utilize a mobile tray hard drive system so that people can slide a drive in with their project and edit away. I want to continue this same process on the Vaporizer, but I want to make sure that this will not create any kind of issue with this machine. I'm wondering if it is better to mount mobile racks onto the case itself or to buy an external tower to mount trays into. In the past we only used one drive for the entire project. I would like to now begin to use 2 drives in Raid0 so I would in fact be mounting 2 mobile racks into either the case or an external tower. Does anyone do this now? Can anyone offer any suggestions? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

kmchale509
Restating the question
on Mar 2, 2007 at 8:00:35 pm

I don't think I am explaining the question that I really need an answer to. Let me try this again. Let's say that I have two indentical editing computers, and a total of 4 sata hard drives. Can I stripe 2 drives together raid 0 on one machine, remove these drives and place them into the other machine to work on the same project. Will the drives be recognized in the other machine as striped raid 0? Will all of the information on the drives still be accessible? I want to be able to work on the same project in either machine. Any feedback on this would be appreciated, this is the only issue holding me back from getting these machines going.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Question about storage for DIY5 Vaporizer
on Mar 3, 2007 at 12:37:26 am

I suspect you may want to purchase an external RAID 'box'

Look up to at the "products" tab, click down to "video storage". get one of those for each editor and just plug in when you need it. Don't forget to make sure each one has a different drive name ie E, F, G etc...

or
1 major video storage and make an Ethernet connection (fibre channel i think is the latest and greatest).. so hook up as many computers as you want, to it.
(one of the videoguys should be able to better assist you on how that works.)

Return to posts index

kmchale509
on Mar 5, 2007 at 3:27:26 pm

Thanks for the response Lee. I agree that would be one way to do it, but that does come with a pretty hefty price tag. The way that I have described it is a little more affordable. I think I will go ahead and try using the hdd dock system, and see if it works. It seems to me that there are towers out there that you can purchase and use removable drives in that have an esata connection. I would believe that if that were to work, their is no reason that 2 trays mounted internally would not work. I plan on connecting these drives to an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo the same way the video guys set up their storage drives to the EZ Backup controller on the board. I will post my results when I have recieved everything and put it together. I am no expert at this, if anyone has an opinion on this please post. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

kmchale509
on Mar 19, 2007 at 3:48:43 am

Just wanted to follow up my progress. I received all of the parts for the Vaporizer. I placed a 250gig WD on the main controller with a sata optical drive. I placed 2 sata hdd external trays on the EZ raid portion of the Asus P5W DH board. I then placed an IDE tray on the IDE part of the board. After loading all of the drivers following the guide on the Asus website and mounting 2-500gig Sata drives into the trays, as well as a 250g Ide drive into the third tray, I am happy to say that everything is recognized. I have no idea if any problems will arise from my set-up, I will follow up with more after I install Adobe PP2.0 and a Matrox card.

Return to posts index

kmchale509
on Mar 22, 2007 at 3:15:18 pm

I'm happy to say that all of the adobe software for the premium studio has been installed and the Matrox card as well. I have edited my first project and everything has worked out just fine. I'm wondering if their is an advantage to adding partitons to my raid 0? I'm also wondering how much tweaking of the bios if any, the video guys had when they put their Vaporizer together. Also is their a guide out there for performing benchmark test so that I can determine that everything in the machine is up to speed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]