Firstly to introduce myself: Having been a music producer for the last seven years I find that the work is drying up. The music industry is suffering and I need to move on. Video production seemed like a logical progression, so I am considering buying the system detailed below. My budget will probably be restrictive at £1200 but I think the following system is more than adequate for starters. Please tell me if you disagree.
I am looking at editing and production rather than shooting, photographic work, etc. as there is no way my budget will extend to expensive camera gear. HD will follow if I am successful getting this off the ground.
Please excuse me if ask too many questions. There is a lot I need to know.
· Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 1066FSB LGA775 4MB cache = £180.
· Asus P5B Deluxe 965 Socket 775 Motherboard Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Extreme PCI-E x 16 ATX = £96.
· Geil “Value” DDR2 2.0GB PC6400 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 1GB) 800MHz (5-5-5-15) with aluminium heat spreader, ATI Crossfire Certified = £184 (£92 each).
· 2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 7200RPM 16MB cache Hard Drive OEM = £115 (£57 each).
· Sony AW-G170AB2 Dual Layer Black 18x DVD+/-RW 12x RAM OEM = £17.
· Microsoft Windows XP Pro (OEM) including SP2 = £87.
· Coolermaster Centurion 534 Black midi tower case, USB mic audio, firewire, 2x fans NO PSU = £38.
· Colors-IT 550W Gold Silent PSU 12cm fan SATA = £16.
· Labour / Machine build = £50.
· TOTAL = £956 + VAT.
This is the quote I got yesterday but I have a concern about the RAM. Perhaps the word “value” suggests an inferior brand? Also, I am not up-to-date on video cards. I assume the GeForce mentioned above will be adequate.
Finally, two more questions:
1. I already own a Midiman Delta 66 professional sound card. I wondered how this might integrate with the video card.
2. How do I go about reading in from a Sony camcorder? It doesn’t have firewire as far as I know. This is something I know very little about.
Any help and advice would be gratefully appreciated.