FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vista compatibility with Vegas, Avid and other platforms...?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Wickert
Vista compatibility with Vegas, Avid and other platforms...?
on Feb 18, 2007 at 10:17:22 am

I am a multimedia film production student currently seeking to upgrade to a newer and better computer and a more efficient and capable NLE software. Right now I just have Pinnacle Studio 9 on a PC with 512 MB DDR RAM, Intel Pentium 4 HT processor, Windows XP. It's been a great computer for everything but efficient video editing and rendering. I've enjoyed the simplicity and the 'All-in-one' capabilities (capture, audio and video edits, dvd menu and title creators, etc) of Pinnacle's interface but at the same time, I've found the software to be very limited with just a handful of timeline tracks I can work with and my computer has a hard time keeping up with the real time playback of projects I want to preview before I burn them on to DVD. When I try to preview a project, the audio often jumps ahead of the picture. Also, if I try to preview in full screen mode, the picture will often hestitate and fall behind the audio as well and sometimes just lock up all together. I also can't go very long with Pinnacle 9 or do too much too soon with it without it freezing up and failing to respond, not to mention the dreadful amount of time it takes to render and burn even the simplest of projects after several restarts of the program in order to complet the project.

Now I am seriously looking at a computer with the following specs:

-Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
-Intel® Viiv
-Intel® EM64T
-320GB Serial ATA II hard drive with 8MB cach
-Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 224MB shared video memory
-Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

I'm hoping that these specs can greatly improve the efficiency and stability of my video editing projects when it comes to real time play back and previewing and rendering. Even if I wasn't having technical problems with Pinnacle on my computer, it's only amateur at best. As mentioned above, I am also seeking to upgrade to a more capable NLE program on a budget of up to $1000. I want something that I could make quality corporate/wedding videos, and other types of video that I could could make an extra buck or two doing (can't have an educational version for that). I also to be able to make quality documentaries and indy feature films worthy of submission to a minor film festival, all the while giving me more skills and experience to be successful with my major and my desired career. I want something with the same type of capabilities as I've enjoyed with Pinnacle and much more.

I want to:

-Set up sound for 5.1 surround
-Have more timeline tracks to work with than Pinnacle 9(preferrably 4 tracks or more for picture, and 3 or more for audio)
-Do roll-over edits for dialoge scenes
-Create and edit titles
-Create and edit DVD menus (the ability to create motion effects and to add audio commentary that can be turned on or off with a DVD player would be a plus too, but not a must!)
-Continue to capture and convert Analog to DV with the PCI card I got in my Pinnacle package (if possible, but also not a must!)
-Capture and edit footage shot in 24p as well as standard formats
- Do chroma Key and PIP effects
-Import and Export JPG, MP3, WAV, WMA, WMV, MOV(Quicktime), Real, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVI, HDV, and Flash files and content.
-Get a wide selection of professional quality transitions, titles, menus, buttons, audio clips, and other add in conent that don't have a bunch extra costs like Pinnacle does.
-Do everything else that Pinnacle 9 does and more, that wasn't already mentioned above.

From reading through other posts of similar questions on this board, it would appear that Avid Liquid or Vegas Studio+DVD Production suite might be the best choices for me at this point. I've also looked at Avid Xpress DV which is supposed to have a similar interface architecture as the higher end AVID Xpress Pro (someday I might be able to afford to upgrade to the whole AVID Xpress Studio, and becoming familiar with Xpress DV could make that transition easier).

The big thing holding me back from getting such a computer that would run any of the software I would want is the MicroSoft Vista OS that comes on the computer I want. I've heard nothing but good things about Vista so far, and it looks and sounds impressive from what I've seen of it, but I'm not confident it is compatible with any existing NLE software I'd be interested in at this point.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know the major pros and cons and other differences between Avid Liquid, Vegas Studio+DVD Production Suite, and Avid Xpress DV? Does anyone have any personal preference of the three?

2. Does anyone have any advice for which software I should consider that would handle all or most of my desires as listed for less than $1000? Does anyone know of any other software programs or bundles within my price range that I haven't already asked about?

3. Does anyone know if any or all of these programs will be optimized and compatible with Vista very soon and if so, when??? (To my understanding Liquid is supposed to be ready for Vista next month, but I don't think any updates or patches to make Xpress DV compatible will be coming out. I also haven't heard anything about if and when Vegas will work on Vista.)

Any other advice or suggestions for me to consider in this situation would be greatly appreciated!

I know this was a long one, but thanks ahead to those of you who make it through and reply.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Vista compatibility with Vegas, Avid and other platforms
on Feb 20, 2007 at 9:10:21 pm

IronWill82: My questions are:

1. Does anyone know the major pros and cons and other differences between Avid Liquid, Vegas Studio+DVD Production Suite, and Avid Xpress DV? Does anyone have any personal preference of the three?

2. Does anyone have any advice for which software I should consider that would handle all or most of my desires as listed for less than $1000? Does anyone know of any other software programs or bundles within my price range that I haven't already asked about?

3. Does anyone know if any or all of these programs will be optimized and compatible with Vista very soon and if so, when??? (To my understanding Liquid is supposed to be ready for Vista next month, but I don't think any updates or patches to make Xpress DV compatible will be coming out. I also haven't heard anything about if and when Vegas will work on Vista.)

the Liquid will give you the most features and video effects for under $1000. the vegas is great if you really want to concentrate on audio. the xpress DV is no longer available.

there will be no vista compatibility for a while. i would stay away from vista until a service pack is available. whenever a new OS is released, we usually stay away from it for a good 6 months.

- Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]