FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP!!!!! WITH CAPTURING TO A RAID 0 DRIVE!!!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Z. Stamp
HELP!!!!! WITH CAPTURING TO A RAID 0 DRIVE!!!!!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 8:43:54 pm

Hello,

I have a custom built video editing Computer (I call the Beast)
with the following...

Computer specs:
Win XP Pro SP1
antec true power 550W power supply
DUAL Intel Xeon 1.60GHz CPU =3.20GHz
3 GB RAM
Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA RAID
Adaptec RAID 0 SCSI 465GB Disk Drive
= (250GB western digital 2500JD X 2 )(I'm trying to use this drive for video storage)
WD 740GD 74 SATA 10K Raptor 70GB (I have Windows installed on here)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256mb
ASUS Quietrack CRW-5232AS Cd-RW
PLEXTOR PX-712A DVD-RW
Creative Audigy 2 Zs Platinum
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
ASUS PC-DL DELUXE Motherboard
I'm also using Sony Vegas 7.0 and
a Panasonic PV-GS2 SD Mini DV camera

And I'm having a problem, when ever i try to capture mini DV SD video with FireWire to my "F" drive (the RAID O drive) Vegas drops hundreds of frames and my computer gets all jumpy, if I capture to the "C" Drive (OS drive) then it captures just fine and doesn't drop even one frame. Sad

If you need more info on my computer or anything else to help me solve this problem, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me Very Happy .

Z. Stamp

Return to posts index

sstachiw
Re: HELP!!!!! WITH CAPTURING TO A RAID 0 DRIVE!!!!!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 10:06:15 pm

I am a little confused. You mention a SCSI drive. Is your F drive a SCSI drive or a SATA drive?

You mention two seperat Adaptec Raid cards. So, depending what RAID your F drive is on (SCSI or SATA), you will probably need to make sure the card is in the correct PCI slot and that all of the appropriate drivers and BIOS updates are included.

You can download HD TACH for free from the web and use it to test the data rates between the F drive and the C drive. If the F drive is testing at a lower bandwidth, then there must be a problem with the install.

If it isn't hardware related, then maybe you should re-create your RAID array. Make sure you are using identical hard drives. If your RAID card gives you the option during setup, be sure you have a proper Chunk size and stripe size for video capture.

If your motherboard has an option to devote system memory to the PCI slots, be sure and allow for enough memory.

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 7, 2007 at 11:58:30 pm

sstachiw: I am a little confused. You mention a SCSI drive. Is your F drive a SCSI drive or a SATA drive?

I think it's SCSI because I copied this line: "Adaptec RAID 0 SCSI 465GB Disk Drive" from the information under the Device Manager. (Right-click My Computer|Properties| Device Manager|Disk Drives)

I have two 250gb drives.

sstachiw:
You mention two seperat Adaptec Raid cards.

You mean because of these lines in my list, right?

Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA RAID
Adaptec RAID 0 SCSI 465GB Disk Drive
= (250GB western digital 2500JD X 2 )(I'm trying to use this drive for video storage)

I think, if I understand correctly, what I actually have is an Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA RAID controller. I should probably also mention that I think I have an onboard Promise RAID controller that is (purposely) disabled in the BIOS.

sstachiw:
So, depending what RAID your F drive is on (SCSI or SATA), you will probably need to make sure the card is in the correct PCI slot and that all of the appropriate drivers and BIOS updates are included.

I think this line from the Device Manager, "Adaptec RAID 0 SCSI 465GB Disk Drive" means that the drives are SCSI, right? My 74gb WD Raptor drive is a SATA. It has the thin red cable instead of the ribbon-type cable connector.

I remember someone on another forum a couple years ago mentioning something about "bottlenecking" and that maybe the drives were not plugged in the right places. I really haven't researched this much yet. The computer is set up the way I got it from where I purchased it.

sstachiw:
You can download HD TACH for free from the web and use it to test the data rates between the F drive and the C drive. If the F drive is testing at a lower bandwidth, then there must be a problem with the install.

I have downloaded HD TACH and will give that a try.

sstachiw:
If it isn't hardware related, then maybe you should re-create your RAID array. Make sure you are using identical hard drives. If your RAID card gives you the option during setup, be sure you have a proper Chunk size and stripe size for video capture.

My two 250gb drives are identical. "= (250GB western digital 2500JD X 2 )"

sstachiw:
If your motherboard has an option to devote system memory to the PCI slots, be sure and allow for enough memory.

I assume I would check this in the BIOS. I will look at it.

I appreciate your help and the quick reply.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 8, 2007 at 12:29:35 am

Here's a screen shot of the HD Tach results:

THIS IS MY C DRIVE:

THIS IS MY F DRIVE (The RAID drive)

The F drive results should be better that right?

Thanks alot for your help,

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 8, 2007 at 12:57:39 am

Is this SCSI RAID coming from a card you installed in one of your slots?
how old is the card? is it in a PCI 1.0? 2.0? 2.1? 2.2? anything under 2.2 is 33Mhz (i think) and will slow everything down for you. If it is connected to a PCI slot...maybe you have IRQ sharing that creates erratic resulting in HDD speeds?

with such a new MOBO, go get some 250GB SATA drives that connect to your onboard ports.

PS I think dual CPUs are in parallel and not in a series. So you have two CPUs running at 1.6 not 3.2.

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 8, 2007 at 7:11:29 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I thought I would repost my specs from a list I had when I first got this computer. Everything was brand new in October of 2004.

--------------------------------------------

- Thermaltake TSUNAMI Case

- OCZ 520W power supply

- Asus PC-DL Deluxe DUAL Xeon/Intel 533 fsb 82875P 533 FSB ATX 82875P/SA/GBE/1394/ATX mboard MFN PC-DL DELUXE

- CPU XEON 3.2 GHz 533 FSB L3 1MB BX80532KE3200E

- WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor

- Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA Raid Controller PCI Card Serial-ATA SATA

- 2 WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM ( RAID 0 Configuration)

- ASUS 5232ASQT-BLK BLACK 52X32X52 CD-RW CD-RW Drive Internal IDE FlextraLink

- PLEXTOR DVD/RW PX-712SA/BPS-BL SATA

- MITSUMI FLOPPY,7 in 1, BLACK ,CARD,READER

- CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM PRO EXT DRIVE

- MSI GeForce FX 5900XT Video Card 128MB, AGP 8X, 2D/3D w/ TV-Out

- FIRE WIRE ADD ON 4 PORT

- USB 2.0 5 PORT ADD ON CARD NEC CHIPSET TRUE 5 PORTS ON BACK
----------------------------------

- Upgraded to 3 GB ram recently

----------------------------------

This is the list from my original invoice for this computer, maybe it will help you understand my setup better.

LeeAVP: Is this SCSI RAID coming from a card you installed in one of your slots?

Yes,
It's a Adaptec 1210SA Serial ATA RAID PCI card.

LeeAVP: how old is the card? is it in a PCI 1.0? 2.0? 2.1? 2.2? anything under 2.2 is 33Mhz (i think) and will slow everything down for you.

The card is from 2004, and the PCI slots are 2.3 32-bit 133MB/s maximum throughput.

LeeAVP: If it is connected to a PCI slot...maybe you have IRQ sharing that creates erratic resulting in HDD speeds

I went into the bios and the following is what I found:

should these settings be different?

Thanks for your help, it would be really nice to get this fixed Smile .

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:10:11 pm

Now I am lost. You mentioned SCSI RAID.
with the Raid card mentioned... you are not using SCSI drives... rather SATA drives.

enable your onboard SATA RAID and use that for your raid. it will be much faster & consist than going through your PCI slot. and yank your raid card.

your owner's manual will tell you what slots share with what for your IRQs

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:47:00 pm

Sorry, the exact line from the Device Manger under Disk Drives says,
"Adaptec RAID 0 SCSI Disk Device".

Yes, I see that they are SATA as shown in my list..."2 WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM". So, why would it say, "SCSI" there?

I don't remember why, when we first purchased the computer, that we were told we needed the (third party ) RAID controller. So, are you saying that the built-in Promise controller would be better and I don't even need the Adaptec contoller?

Thanks again! I know this system has tons of potential and 3gb of ram is not bad. I am hoping to optimize this Beast and I appreciate all your help!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:27:25 am

Z. Stamp: So, are you saying that the built-in Promise controller would be better and I don't even need the Adaptec contoller?

yes

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:54:23 am

Alright, I'm giving that a try but first I'm making a backup so I don't lose anything Confused .

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 9, 2007 at 6:05:50 pm

Okay, heres the results to HD Tach after I switched to the Promise
controller the red line is now and the blue line is what I got before with the adaptec controller:

I'm going to try capturing video to the F drive now.Shocked

I'll let you know how it works.

Z. Stamp

Return to posts index

Z. Stamp
on Feb 9, 2007 at 6:14:45 pm

[size=24:28a536c8ec]IT"S WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It captured just fine with out dropping a single frame,
wow, thanks alot for your help this is going to be great!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Z. Stamp Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]