FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Vista – Not yet – wait for 64 bit drivers.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
Windows Vista – Not yet – wait for 64 bit drivers.
on Feb 3, 2007 at 1:45:14 am

Microsoft has finally shipped their much awaited and hyped next OS – Vista. For Digital Videographers we have one piece of advice: Do Not Upgrade (Yet)

Here are our top reasons why we feel you MUST WAIT before upgrading or migrating to Vista

1. Wait for certified Vista 64 bit drivers for your software and hardware. We see no reason or advantage at all for upgrading to the 32 bit version of Vista. It eats up resources and at best you will get the same performance you already have under WinXP. Once we have 64bit software and drivers to offer you, we will begin recommending Vista

2. Vista has too many flavors, and we have no idea which one will offer the best value and performance for video editing. You don’t want to have to upgrade to a more expensive version in a few months, and you don’t want to overpay for the more expensive flavors if you don’t need it.

3. Vista, video cards and graphics drivers. One of the coolest new features about Vista is the Aero display technology that allow you to see and work with multiple windows in 3D space. Very cool! But what will that do for video editing? I’m concerned it will steal resources and slow us down. We recommend waiting until we can recommend the right optimized graphics drivers and settings for you.

There is no doubt that some time this year, probably early summer after the first Service Packs have been released we will change our tune. At first we’ll tell you to proceed with caution, but give it a try – especially once we get Vista certified version of our software. But I don’t think you’ll see us giving it our top recommendation until it can deliver on the full promise of 64 bit computing. Then there will be no turning back.

Down the road Vista will allow us to take full advantage of multiple CPU cores, utilization of 4,6,8 or more GBs of RAM and even multiple graphic cards running multiple HD displays. Eventually we’ll see new NLE software GUIs and interfaces that tap into the Aero technology to make editing even easier and more productive. We’re just not there yet. Give it time. By this time next year I think we’ll have it all – and more!!

Gary

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: Windows Vista – Not yet – wait for 64 bit drivers.
on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:59:00 pm

Hey VideoGuy!

I think this post can be updated. I run 64-bit Vista. Sony Vegas Pro 8, Adobe CS3 products, Quickbooks and AV products now all run on Vista 32&64.

I have been looking for a new desktop board lately and Intel, ASUS and Gigabyte all have Vista 32&64 bit drivers for their motherboards.

I have 8 GB of RAM and this allows 32-bit apps to use whatever their maximum RAM usage may be. Or like Sony Vegas, I can allocate a full 1 GB to RAM preview and still be able to have Photoshop and Dreamweaver running at the same time.

I don't think Vista is for everybody, but 64-bit with over 4 GB of RAM is very nice.

Time for an update VideoGuys?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 3, 2008 at 9:17:02 am

As far as I know, only Sony Vegas has a 64-bit version that is coming "soon".

However, you don't need 64-bit apps to enjoy a 64-bit O/S. If you have over 4 GB of RAM, the 32-bit apps will be able to use up to their limit which is usually more than what would be available under 32-bit XP or Vista.

As far as a software package to do it all, I have been in discussions regarding Final Cut Pro/Vegas/Liquid/Premiere and it doesn't look like any one of them are, without question, better than the others. The bottom line is to learn as much as you can about whatever app you use. Maybe compliment your NLE with After Effects.

Microsoft hasn't actually stopped selling XP yet. June 30th is the deadline and rumors are flying that the date will change or there will be a loophole to continue buying XP.

Return to posts index

clintblock
on Oct 8, 2008 at 2:49:39 pm

Since the last post on here was in May, I am wondering if you are still reccommending XP over Vista64? I am getting ready to do a new build and not sure what to do. I see that New Egg is still selling XP.

I am currently using Liquid 6, and am considering going to Adobe CS4 or Avid, so I would like to have 64 bit. However, the NLE software change will possibly have to wait a few months. Meanwhile, I'm not sure if the Liquid will work on Vista 64. Should I just get XP until I am ready to upgrade software also?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me. (I plan to use the DYI 6 specs for the new build).

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Oct 9, 2008 at 12:02:53 am

I've been using Win XP Pro x64 for the last three months and I love it. Is far more stable than the 32bit version, and as a heavy After Effects being able to configure a system with 8 GB of RAM is what I always needed!

There are drivers for almost everything... except many old printers and most capture cards, though 64bit drivers (Vista 64) are being announced for next year as well as multi-core support.

Return to posts index

clintblock
on Oct 11, 2008 at 12:32:41 am

Thanks, Chipocludo.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 22, 2008 at 2:45:00 pm

DIY7 Update

Now that Adobe CS4, Avid Media Composer and Sony Vegas support Vista 64 we think the time has come to see how they run on the latest hardware running 64 bit.

Our next DIY machine DIY7 will use the Intel i7 processor on a new X58 based motherboard (Asus P6T Deluxe) running triple channel memory (6GB total: 3 x 2Gb sticks). We hope to have the machine up and running and opurt article published in January.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:07:03 pm

Hi Gary,

Been there done that you will be extremely impressed.

the render times in After Effects are absurd.
the same high res still that once took 3 minutes to render on a 1 ver back Xeon (original 8 core)
now takes 20 seconds on a Core i7 3.2GHz.

as to Vista 64, CS3 has always worked Stellar but was limited to 4gig of ram in AE and 4 gig in PP but you could use all 8 gig with both, now its unlimited with CS4

we have been recommending Vista 64 for now for nearly a yr, first with Adobe, then Vegas and now Avid. and lastly Matrox RTX and Axio have 64 drivers.
so all is good in NLE land, if only the audio side would get it together.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]